cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber Error? How Worried should I be?

joshhboss
Beginner
Beginner

So I keep getting this alert on my prtg for one of my switches but ive done all I can do. They have us patched in through like 3 IDFs that I do not have access to and ive already changed the sfps and patch cords on both of my switches.. Will my switch not work properly with this. One last thing I could try is using BiDis and hope that on one strand I wont have that problem. But just so I understand. Could someone help me understand how much trouble im in for having a link up with this kind of -dm. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.23.44 PM.png

2 Replies 2

Kasun Bandara
VIP Advocate VIP Advocate
VIP Advocate

seems like you are getting low power situation in fiber line. may be cable is not transmitting signal as expected, dust is blocking your path, SFP malfunction or switch port issues. need to check all of them

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend
  1. Get the link professionally tested using an OTDR.  IF the tester is not using a Fluke DTX tester, do not accept the result(s). 
  2. Clean the BiDi. 
  3. Clean the fibre optic tips
  4. Clean the FOBOT. 
  5. If problem persist, change the BiDi optics (both ends) and the patch cords.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers