cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find Cisco Catalyst Password from Config File?

Hi,

I have an old Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch, along with a Cisco WS-C370G fibre core switch.

Both switches are password protected.

We have a number of similar Catalyst range switches on site, which are all password protected within config/CLI.

I have console access (physically in front of the unit), but unfortunately not the password to access the switches config.

Trouble is, I need to find the password in plain text form, in order to administratively bring up one of the SFP ports on the C370G.

All switches use the same username/password combo, so I'm told.

Is there anyway I can place the switches in a special 'boot' mode to view the password being used, in plain text format?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Is there anyway I can place the switches in a special 'boot' mode to view the password being used, in plain text format?
No

You can do a password recovery through console though and set a new password and maintain the config , but will require short outage
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/15-0_2_se/configuration/guide/scg2960/swtrbl.html#pgfId-1021182

mlund
Level 7
Level 7
Hi To add to what Mark wrote, when follow the passwordrecovery procedure, you can read the startup config, and there are the password. They can be unencrypted (clear text) if You are lucky. Or they can be encrypted with different encryption methods. If the password starts with a 7 , then it is possible to use a password cracker to view the password. If it starts with a 5 , then it's not possible to crack it (at least for my knowledge). /Mikael
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card