Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find the best Upgrade for C886VAJ-K9

Dear Community,

I would like to upgrade my router, cause i found some new releases and it crashes every 7-10 Days and the router need a reboot But am not shure which i should take.

My Router:   Cisco C886VAJ-K9 

IOS:             Cisco IOS Software, C800 Software (C800-UNIVERSALK9-M),

Version 15.6(2)T 1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM:           System Bootstrap, Version 15.4(1r)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Is it an upgrade if i will take the suggested IOS version 15.4.3M10 or do i have to take the 15.6.3M5 due to 

the current installed version 15.6(2)T1? Or should i take the newes one 15.9.3M0a ?

upgrade.JPG

Second Question:

Do i need to upgrade the ROMMON as well for upgrading the IOS Software?

upgrade2.JPG

Do i have to install the config again, or would it survive the upgrades?

Thanks very much in advance.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

the recommended version, 15.4.3M10, should be fine (you are effectively downgrading the IOS). You don't need any intermediate IOS versions to install the lower one.

That said, you say your router is crashing: what do the logs show ?

ROMMON: there is currently only one version available, which dates back to 2010, so you cannot upgrade the ROMMON.

IOS:

Thank u Georg for ur quick reply. So i will try the Version 15.4.3M10.

ROMMON:

I found the Version 15.4(1r)T2 (August 2015, link) but i have installed Version 15.4(1r)T1. Whats the difference?

Crashing:

the logs at the logserver does not say anything specifc. Usually i can access the router via VPN or via Internet, but     if the crash happed, i cant reach the router completly. The user at the location needs to reboot the router                 manually.

Hello Benjamin,

I didn't even see the new ROMMON 15.4(1r)T2...either way, there are no release notes, but it is 5 years more recent than the other one, so by all means install it. 

Hard to tell if the crashes are hard or software related. Monitor after changing the ROMMON and the IOS and see if this stops the crashes...

AndiBuchmann157
Level 1
Level 1

Regarding the config: it usually should sustain as long as you properly safe it and dont do a "wr er". just do the update by coping the new image over there and chaging the boot variable or by setting the conf reg to boot the first (and maybe only one available image) in the flash and NOT IGNORING the startup config :)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Router is crashing because it's running on a "T" train.
Use the "M" train instead.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card