Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find the offending MAC address for bpduguard

I have a Cisco WS-C6509-E with IOS, connected to a hypervisor with multiple VMs on it.

The port on the 6500 that connects to the hypervisor is a trunk port and has bpduguard enabled.

One of the VMs is causing the port to go into err-disable state by send bpdus. I am trying to figure out which, from the Cisco itself. Specifically I'm trying to find that VMs MAC address.

Is this possible? I have looked at debugging with full spanning-tree debugging on but all i get is that the port goes into err-disable. It doesn't tell me what the offending MAC address is (or anything about the BPDU).

Short of stripping VLANs from the trunk until I have the culprit network (which won't actually give me the culprit device but rather, only its VLAN), I'm not sure if there is a direct command or debug to give me this information directly. Can anyone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Try spanning the port and capture some traffic.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Try spanning the port and capture some traffic.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Steven,

I'm with John on this one, your 6500's log wont reveal the offending MAC, unless you start debugging spanning tree. Your best bet is wireshark and filter your capture based on the STP protocol.

HTH

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hmm... I was afraid that might be the only option. I have tried to do full debugging on spanning-tree but it gives me nothing. Is there no way to look into the BPDU details without using SPAN?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card