Views
Helpful
Replies

Find unused ports for since 14 weeks

beta_admin66
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to call up the ports on a switch that have not been used for 14 weeks. I have given this command:

show int | i proto.*notconnect|proto.*administratively down|Last in.* [14]w|Last in.*[0-9][0-9]w|[0-9]y|disabled|Last input never, output never, output hang never

Is the command correct?

What does mean .*[0-9][0-9]w|[0-9]" ?

Thank you very much.

7 Replies 7

beta_admin66
Level 1
Level 1

What does mean this output ?

GigabitEthernet1/0/1 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
  Last input never, output never, output hang never

Was this port never in use?

Hello @beta_admin66 ,

it means the port has never been up/up since last reload of the switch.

However, be aware that on some platforms and IOS version the sentence

>> Last input never, output never

appear also for ports that are in up/up with an input rate and an output rate.

This is a SW bug or SW limitation. You need to check the appearence of the line for ports that are up/up

Hope to help

Giuseppe

It is a Cisco Catalyst 2950, WS-C2950G-48-EI.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What is the model of the switch?
If the switch is a Catalyst 4k, then use the command "sh interface link".

Hello,

I also noticed something else:

switchxy>show int | i proto.*notconnect|proto.*administratively down|Last in.* [14]w|Last in.*[0-14][0-14]w|[0-9]y|disabled|Last input never,output, output hang never
FastEthernet0/35 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect) -> here is no output about the weeks/year

switchxy>show int FastEthernet0/35 

FastEthernet0/35 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)  

Last input 36w2d, output 36w2d, output hang never --> here is an output about the weeks/year

What does this mean: .*[0-14][0-14]w|[0-9]  ?

Thank you

Hello,

.*[0-14][0-14]w|[0-9]

refers to last input and output parameters. You will only see anything that is equal or less to 14 weeks. If you want to include a higher number, you have to change the parameters marked in bold:

switchxy>show int | i proto.*notconnect|proto.*administratively down|Last in.* [14]w|Last in.*[0-14][0-14]w|[0-9]y|disabled|Last input never,output, output hang never

Hello @beta_admin66 ,

>> What does this mean: .*[0-14][0-14]w|[0-9] ?

It is a regular expression that is a way to match variable strings or patterns. However, I think a more correct syntax should be:

.*[1-9][4-9]w[0-9]

the .* means one of more occurrences of the following pattern.

The pattern is made of characters taken from a set the set in square brackets,  in this case we would like the first char to be 1 or greater and the second char to be 4 to 9 in this way you should be able to match all ports unused for 14 weeks or more. The w is literaly the w character the subsequent is a don't care.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card