Views
Helpful
Replies

firmware upgrade

shahin shahini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a Catalyst 3560g switch that has a outdated firmware and we would like to upgrade it.

The current version is 12.2(35)SE5. Can I directly upgrade to the latest version? or we have to install them one by one?

Thanks

18 Replies 18

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You should be able to jump straight to the latest image.

Keep in mind that there may be microcode upgrades required by the new image. These can make the initial boot see to take a very long time (10 -30 minutes), be patient. Attach a console lead to the switch to keep an eye on it.

cheers,

Seb.

In addition to what Seb describes, if you hit a microcode upgrade and you don't have a console connection, you might have a failure in a microcode upgrade that can go unnoticed. (I bumped into this where one of the microcode packages didn't have enough flash to decompress its packages.)

Hi Seb and Guy's

Thank you all for your reply.

If I understood you correctly I can just go a head and install the latest image and no need to install the between upgrades.

When I go to the download page and search for 3560g 24TS I can see that the latest image is 15.0.2-SE 11(MD), but there I Can see different files like IP base and IP service , etc. whitch file should I download?

Thanks

Depends on what the device is licensed for. If you've only an IP Base license, you would install that. If you have a license for IP Services you can install that or IP Base. (The latter if you're not using IP Services features and you want to use a smaller IOS image.)

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for your reply,
How can I for sure know my device is licensed for IP Base or for IP service base?
Thanks

What is the output of:

sh license 

...on the switch?

Hi Seb,

Thanks for the update,

It looks like I can not run the sh license or sh lice is not working on this model! I get the error invalid input 

Any suggestion?

As @Joseph W. Doherty correctly mentions, newer switches use the universal type image and feature sets are controlled by a license file or by enabling RTU. 

In the case of the older switches like your 3560G, things are much simpler, feature set is controlled by the image you boot with, ie IPBase, IPServices, etc. 

Obviously in the good old days providing you could get hold of the image file you could have any feature set you wanted. Now it is much harder to cheat the licensing game.

What is the output of sh boot var or sh ver, that will show us the image you should upgrade to.

cheers,

Seb.

This is the out put of sh ver

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address : DC:7B:94:62:91:80
Motherboard assembly number : 73-10215-06
Power supply part number : 341-0098-02
Motherboard serial number : FOC142853MA
Power supply serial number : AZS142204MY
Model revision number : F0
Motherboard revision number : A0
Model number : WS-C3560G-24TS-S
System serial number : FOC1428Y2HP
Top Assembly Part Number : 800-26851-03
Top Assembly Revision Number : A0
Version ID : V05
CLEI Code Number : COMB200BRA
Hardware Board Revision Number : 0x09

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image
------ ----- ----- ---------- ----------
* 1 28 WS-C3560G-24TS 12.2(35)SE5 C3560-IPBASE-M

You've a Base image installed, plus the model number ends with a "-S" (not "-E"), which would also indicates a Base image. So, unless an add-on IP Service license was purchased, you should only obtain another Base image.

BTW, normally you need a service contract to obtain a newer IOS image from Cisco. I recall, way back, the 3650G may have had a "lifetime" software upgrade allowance but I also recall Cisco may have changed that, plus, I believe, the "lifetime" expired when the series went end-of-support.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the update,

I manage to download c3560-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE11.bin for IP BASE, is this what We need roght?

I ask this because there is also one more Base for IP BASE WITH WEB BASED DEV MGR 

c3560-ipbasek9-tar.150-2.SE11.tar

Yup, that's likely it.

The TAR has a web manager, with the IOS, and requires the package installation process to install. All the BIN requires is to be booted into.

As Seb mentions, on newer platforms one of the show license commands should reveal what's the license. On older platforms, the installed IOS image is what controls what license you "should" have. (I.e. the older platforms didn't enforce the license, it was "on trust" [of course if you didn't abide by this trust, and you were caught in license violation, legal penalties can be severe].)

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the single switch yes.

make sure you have backup of config before you upgrade. do it in maintenance window if this is a production switch.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco