Views
Helpful
Replies

Fully redundant Switches meaning

moh123321
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Could you pls let me know the exact meaning of attach ( yellow marked one)? the contractor was saying "it doesn't mean two switches as there is a built in redundancy in Cisco switch)"

I don't think he is correct as I never heard about built in redundancy in Cisco Router/switch

Any comment as this will affect the numbers from 55 (3750 v2) to 110....he is trying to save as you know.

Thanks

M

41 Replies 41

See here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/qa_c67-722110.html

Q.

How many Cisco Catalyst 3850 switches can stack into a single logical entity?

A. Up to 4 Cisco Catalyst 3850 switches can be stacked together to build single logical StackWise-480 switch. Up to 9 member stacks will be supported in a future software release.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hold on ... I just saw this development now.

WTF!  You want to stack 8-9 3750X together????  Are you kidding????   Mohamed, I seriously hope you are making a joke because no engineer is SANE ENOUGH to recommend you pile 8 or 9 3750/G/E/X into a single stack

Have you tried changing commands in a stack of, 7 to 9 3750/G/E/X????  I have.  A lot.   And I can tell you it's not a pleasant experience.    Search this forum for people who've tried and asked about this.  You're not the first and you won't be the last to experience what it feels like to stack up to 9 3750-series switch into a single logical stack.

Tell you what, let's make this thread nice-and-simple:  The entire 3750X line, in my personal opinion, doesn't have long to go.  I am waiting for Cisco to announce the end-of-sale in the next 12 months (again, in my opinion).

If you are risk-averse, then 3750v2 is your option.

If you want to future-proof your network, then 3850 and 2960-X/XR is the way to go.

I agree with you Leo.

As I stated earlier, if the requirement is urgent then go for the 3750s

It's difficult because of the criteria specified.
I guess you could communicate Cisco's product line and say the 3850s or 2960s or whatever you feel suits best. Just let them know its coming and see if they're happy to go with it.

They're a customer at the end of the day, and should be made aware of these things as they're about to make a fairly large investment.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

As I stated earlier, if the requirement is urgent then go for the 3750s

Ummmm ... it's not a question of "urgency" because the 3850 has been shipping for the last two months or so.

The OP is, in my opinion, trying to find a case to invest in 3750v2 instead of looking forward.  But it's not my call.  I'm merely expressing my opinion.

However, I do get "fired up" if someone tries to design a network with seven (7) and more 3750 units into one stack. 

Sorry Leo, I meant in the context of the requirement, IF IT HAD TO BE MET NOW.

I.e. if they required switches that were stackable to 9 then the 3850s can't do this now can they... Hence if its URGENT to get switches in, you must fulfil this requirement call for the 3750s...

Remember, the customer has given very precise clear description of what they're looking for and we need to be careful and watch our backs so they don't do us over for any reason, if you get what I mean...

Hate that kind of business personally.

As I said, communication is required here between consultant and customer.

Sorry Leo, I meant in the context of the requirement, IF IT HAD TO BE MET NOW.

I.e. if they required switches that were stackable to 9 then the 3850s can't do this now can they... Hence if its URGENT to get switches in, you must fulfil this requirement call for the 3750s.

Ohhhh ... You mean this?  LOL.  Ok, ok, ok.  Yeah.  I agree.

But urgent requirement to stack seven or more 3750?  Pfffft!  I'd laugh at that engineer who is going to give his/her tick-of-approval on it (to stack seven or more 3750).  The most I'll stack in a 3750 (including the "X") is six and no more.

Remember, the customer has given very precise clear description of what they're looking for and we need to be careful and watch our backs so they don't do us over for any reason, if you get what I mean...

Customer doesn't necessarily have to be right.  It's up to the network engineer or the network architect to say, "Uhhhh ... you guys nuts?" and explain his/her professional opinion based on experience.

Yeah, you're right.
I'm in total agreement with you about the amount we should be stacking, and also in favour of going for 3850s or other newer switches like you mentioned before.

Lets say for example, there's a contract in place, between customer and consultant. We are providing them with a service. They have given us these requirements, so for the sake of it, we buy 3850s (our recommendation) which is a good one, no doubt about that.

But then two days later they say, okay guys, we need to add 4 more to the stack..... On every single floor

Then we're slightly screwed right? Because we can't have x6 3850s in a stack yet.

When we tell them, they'll be like wth is this? LOL. Then arguments happen etc... And can even get down to legalities etc. Not nice.

If it was me, I'd definitely advise them and give them a heads up and what's in Cisco pipeline and to get an idea if they will really need stackable switches to that amount (which is absolutely crazy) and if so, when are the plans. etc... And all the other useful info.

But then two days later they say, okay guys, we need to add 4 more to the stack..... On every single floor

Then we're slightly screwed right? Because we can't have x6 3850s in a stack yet

I can't argue.  If it's explicitely stated in the contract that they want to do this, then it's simply settled, however, I would document it somewhere about the flaws.  The absence of the documentation of "oh, and by the way" can bring negative connotation.

If it was me, I'd definitely advise them and give them a heads up and what's in Cisco pipeline and to get an idea if they will really need stackable switches to that amount (which is absolutely crazy) and if so, when are the plans. etc... And all the other useful info.

Same here.  But not everyone has benefits like you in terms of "long reach" into Cisco.

Take me, for example, I depend entirely on this forum to keep me updated.  I even had to tell my SE that the new 2960-X is coming out.  A few years ago, when Cisco formally announced (to the public) the release of the 2960-S, 3560X and 3750X our SEs didn't know.  They couldn't give me any information.  And when they did, three days later, they just told us to look at the Data Sheet (which we've already read since the day of the announcement).

So, if the number of switches per stack will be the only issue, then I'll go for 3850 model ( if the price is the same) as we don't have that much of staff per floor, then 2 stacked switches will be more enough.

To close this long discussion, my final question is :

- if I'll go for 3850 which model should I go for? and same for 3750....all based on the above specification.

Again thank you so much Bilal and Leo for all your answers and I'm sure we will meet again with another technical discussion.

Best Regards

Mohamed

- if I'll go for 3850 which model should I go for? and same for 3750....all based on the above specification.

That's correct.  24- or 48-port.  PoE or not.

Remember that the uplink module, the power stack cable and the stacking cable are optional.  You need to purchase them separately.  The redundant power supply is also an optional purchase.

All are 24 ports and POE supporting.

I'm attaching the full spec. just in case

Thanks

M

You need the WS-3850-24P and also the C3850-NM-4-1G

You also should consider which power modules you will go for.

The power modules you will need are PWR-C1-715WAC which can supply devices on PoE that withdraw 15.4W.

Alternatively you can get then PWR-C1-1100WAC up to 30W per port (This is probably overkill)

The amount (of modules you need - 1 or 2) you need depends on your power requirements.

More info here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card