cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Future of Cisco VSS

jsicuranza
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a project to build a tenant bolt on site model with a pair of core switches. One high level design had 4500s utilizaing  VSS.  Though VSS is a great technology I am concerned if I commit a client to a remote site bolt on model with each site having a VSS core that the VSS may be deprecated in a few years. Can someone from Cisco provide me an update on the VSS's support path in Cisco.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catalyst 93009400 and 9500 is the latest generation of switches.  

9300 will be replacing the 3650/3850. 

9400 will be replacing the entire 4K range, including 4500 and 4900. 

9500 will be replacing the entire 6K range, including 6500, 6800 and 6840. 

Talk to your authorized Cisco SE/AM.  Don't waste money on models which will be EoS in the next two to three years.  

Thank you will do. Anyone on here from Cisco who like to add to Leo's response. This is very helpful.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

Catalyst 93009400 and 9500 is the latest generation of switches.  

9300 will be replacing the 3650/3850. 

9400 will be replacing the entire 4K range, including 4500 and 4900. 

9500 will be replacing the entire 6K range, including 6500, 6800 and 6840. 

Talk to your authorized Cisco SE/AM.  Don't waste money on models which will be EoS in the next two to three years.  

Is there any documentation with regard to VSS being supported on the 9400's.

So far I've not found anything to back this up.

We have a site we are thinking of using 9407's but VSS is a must have. I need to send them some technical specs, but I'm struggling to find anything.

VSS is the term for stacking two IOS chassis together.
The new 9500 will support StackWise Virtual which is, crudely speaking, a kind of VSS for IOS-XE. However, StackWise Virtual is NOT YET supported but this is part of the roadmap.
For more information, talk to your Cisco SE/AM or PSS because they have more slide shows to present.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card