Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway for VLAN traffic

Rhys Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Have several layer 3 entry level switches (sg500x). They have their default VLAN1 plus VLAN2 which I have created and trunked across two of the switches. The trunk port between the switches carries VLAN1 traffic untagged and VLAN2 traffic tagged. I need to give clients on VLAN2 a gateway onto VLAN1 when all the servers are.

I understand most will not be familiar with sg500x cli but I’m looking for concepts of how this is done e.g. do I need to assign an IP in the subnet range for VLAN2 to the trunk port and make that the gateway?

Thanks

17 Replies 17

If you see this post

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2241471

He says

"Each VLAN has an ip address and clients have their gateways set as the switches interface address. Intervlan is working and clients can ping across VLANS and access the internet."

This is what I'm trying to achive - the sg500 should be able to route across the vlans by simply enabling routing. I think the crux is when assigning an IP to an interface be it a vlan or a port I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Rhys

Thanks Karthick you were right about the gateway. The clients on VLAN1 are all configured to use SwitchE for gateway as this has routes off to WAN, internet etc so.....I was focusing on the gateway the clients on VLAN2 were using, without considering the clients on VLAN1 needed a gateway local to switchA/B that was aware of VLAN2.

To make Switch E aware of VLAN 2 I guess I need to make trunks back up the uplinks to SwitchE?

Thanks for all contributions from others.

Rhys

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From the other information you've posted, you've got gateways on two L3 (?) enabled switches.  For this to work, you'll need to either do static or dynamic routing between your L3 devices.  This is the kind of complexity you might avoid on just a few switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: