cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC error on Cat3750G-12S

cineca
Level 1
Level 1

On a Catalyst WS-C3750G-12S (IOS Version 12.2(20)SE4) I just inserted 12 original SFP

GBIC GLC-SX-MM purchased from Cisco.

One of them gives the error below:

May 11 16:17:21: %GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-ID_MISMATCH: Identification check failed for GBIC in port 65544

May 11 16:17:21: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Gi1/0/8, putting Gi1/0/8 in err-disable state

The Catalyst 3750 Switch System Message Guide says:

"verify that the module was obtained from Cisco or a supported vendor."

How is it possible that a original Cisco GBIC will be not recognized as valid ?

Thank you, Regards

Alessandro Asson

4 Replies 4

jrahm
Level 1
Level 1

It's not uncommon to receive equipment DOA. :-(

Sorry.. what do you mean with DOA ??

dead on arrival

wkumari
Level 1
Level 1

So, in its infinte wisdom, cisco has made it so you can only use cisco (ok, not actually made by cisco, but branded as cisco) SFPs. I suspect that one of the SFPs you have didn't get the right prom burn before being shipped (or someone swapped a label and RMA'd a non-cisco SFP) or something similar. There are companies that will take an off the shelf Finisar SFP and burn the cisco code onto it so you don't need to pay the inflated cisco price.

Cisco's policy on this has made me move to an alternate switch vendor (and I buy a LOT of switchports).

You may or may not be able to skip the genuine cisco gbic test by doing:

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: