cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gig blade from 4006 to 4510

paulc
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use a 10/100/1000 blade from a 4006 in a 4510?  I would think I could but I wanted to verify.  Also, can I do a hot-swap (the 4510 is live but the 4006 is shut-down)? Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Alan Taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

Having done a quick check through cisco.com it appears the line cards are compatible with both chassis.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/index.html

Installing the card in the 4500 while it is powered on shouldn't pose any great problems although I would recommend that you make reasonable effort to reduce the potential impact if the switch is affected i.e. schedule the install out of core hours.

Edit : for thoroughness it would probably be a good idea to search on the card product ID and check the datasheet.

Hope that helps,

- Sudo.

Message was edited by: Pseudopath - addtional remark

Thanks, Sudo.  Unfortunately, I picked the wrong slot.  No lights came on when I inserted the card so I checked the 4510 log:

000616: *Sep 23 09:13:14.117: %C4K_CHASSIS-3-LINECARDNOTVALIDINSLOT: Module WS-X
4424-GB-RJ45 is not supported in slot 10, try slots 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9.

When I get a sec, I'll try one of the other slots.  I also have another s4506 gbic' card  to place.  Now, I'm wondering if I'll have room for both.  When I got the 4510, one of the techs said that one slot would not work because it was designated for a supervisor card in case we should ever want to add another supe engine for backup\redundancy.

Well, no service interruption is a good thing and the switch survived so another positive! I'm sure the next time will be fine.

Slots 5 and 6 are reserved for the supervisor modules, as per what the tech said.

Regarding the log entry you received; I encountered problems with a 6500 chassis once that didnt like having a module inserted due to the power drain of all the others, maybe ensuring you have enough wattage could help. Looking at the details I could find there doesnt appear to be suggestions/restrictions on the slot you should use for your card I would suggest one closer to the top of the chassis if possible, no evidence to back this up but it seems to me that the power starts at module 1 then 2 etc. but as I said no evidence just my assumptions and what my experience with the 6500s suggest.

Anyway, hope that helps and good luck with the next attempt.

- Sudo.

PS. please consider using the correct answer option if any post resolved your question.

Thanks for the reply.  I successfully added a 10/100/1000 blade from a 4006 into slot 9. I'm going to open a TAC with Cisco (now that I've finally got the contract number for the device) and find out why slot 10 appears to be unavailable.

Hello Paul,

Before opening a tac case, can you specify the type of Sup you are using in the 4510 ?

Is it a SUP V (WS-X4516)  ? Indeed from page  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet09186a00801fcaba_ps2797_Products_Data_Sheet.html  Chassis and Line Card Support - Table 1  we can see :

* When the Supervisor Engine V is used in the  Cisco Catalyst 4510R chassis, slot 10 (FlexSlot) will support a subset  of line cards: the 2-port GBIC (WS-X43 02-GB) and Access Gateway Module  (WS-X4604-GWY). Future Supervisor Engines will allow slot 10 to  accommodate any and all line cards.

That could explain why your 4424-GB-RJ45 is not supported in slot 10...

Thanks

Cheers

Karim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card