cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP dual path balancing

Russell Gibbons
Level 1
Level 1

I have a site with two MPLS circuits that I am currently loadbalancing via GLBP. The setup is: I have a switch plugged into each og the MPLS routers; MPLS1 = 10.1.1.2, MPLS2 is 10.1.1.3, GLBP is 10.1.1.1, and all of my PCs point to 10.1.1.1. I can see via my monitoring software that the circuits on MPLS1 and 2 are load balanced. I am planning on adding a single firewall to the switch, and re-IPing the network. The addresses listed will all stay the same. The firewall will have an outside IP of 10.1.1.4, and my new internal range will be 10.1.2.0/24 (10.1.1.0 is also /24).

Question: will the firewall only arp for 10.1.1.1 once, and then forward all traffic to that single AVF? If not, then I think I'll be happy and all will work as is does now, just behind a FW. If it will choose one path in this setup, what changes would I need to make to have it still load balance?

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I guess only L3 routing (e.g. EIGRP or OSPF) on FW can help you to keep load-balancing. From the L2 perspective FW will always use single route.

Nik

HTH,
Niko
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card