cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP Switchover

Nehru Becirovic
Level 1
Level 1

I have GLBP configured between our two ASR's with each of them having dedicated MPLS.  What I wanted to know is if there is a way to set up in that in case one of the MPLS's goes down then the load balancing will be shut off and current active MPLS ASR will assume the primary role.  

I can do this with HSRP but that doesn't give us load balance.  I have track object set up for MPLS interfaces, but does that mean I would have to decrement weight to 0 if MPLS fails?

Basically to sum it up I'm trying to get load balance with GLBP when both of the MPLS's are up, but if one fails I want same functionality of HSRP where current active MPLS ASR takes over completely.

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
The only way I could think you could get that working could is use an EEM script to track the upstream route of the MPLS circuit , if it fails and is unreachable you could then set it to remove the GLBP commands from the interface that's failed so only the working MPLS circuit is useable , when it comes back up in tracking you could get the script to put the GLBP commands back into the interface so theres 2 paths again

Thanks Mark, I'll look into that.  

But my question is if I have tracker set up for both of the MPLS interfaces line-protocol and one of those interfaces goes down, should I decrement weight down to 0?  I understand GLBP does load balance but shouldn't it be fault tolerance as well like HSRP?  

it depends on your config what value you use but it should be low enough that it is not chosen as the active virtual forwarder , you can set thresholds and once it decrements below that its good as it cant be selected
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card