Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP working as HSRP

lcuchisanmillan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are making trials with all the load-balancing methods that GLBP and we are focusing when no load-balancing option is configured and as it says here it should work as HSRP:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6554/ps6600/product_data_sheet0900aecd803a546c.html

The problem we have noticed is that when we one of the routers goes down and afterwards it recovers, the first 5-10 minutes the active router is the one that should be standby router (in the configuration that I attach, Router 2) and after 5-10 minutes router 1 is the active one and router 2 becomes standby.

******Router 1

interface Vlan1
description <LAN>
ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0
glbp 2 ip 10.0.0.1
glbp 2 priority 110
glbp 2 preempt
no glbp 2 load-balancing

******Router 2

interface Vlan1
description <LAN>
ip address 10.0.0.3 255.255.255.0
glbp 2 ip 10.0.0.1
glbp 2 priority 90
no glbp 2 load-balancing

We have configured "glbp 2 preempt" in Router 2 but with the same result

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Router 1 will take over because you it configured with glbp 2 preempt and higher priority

Have a look at the command refernce guide for more info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ft_glbp.html#wp1044136

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza,

Thank for your response, what you are telling is what I thought I should work, but we have tested several times the following:

Working normal, router 1 is active one.

Reloading router 2, when it goes up Router 1 becomes standby and Router 2 is the active one for a period of 5-10 minutes and afterwards router 1 goes active again and router 2 remains as standby one.

I do not understand why during these 5-10 minutes router 2 is the active one

Thank you

You mean router 1 right?

Hi,

It is router 2 (the one thta should be as standby) hat we reload or disconect, and when it goes up it becomes the active for 5-10 minutes,

We have tested router 1 as 887 and router 2 as a 1921

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco