Views
Helpful
Replies

GPS data showing wrong location

motoryachta
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I work on a private yacht and we have Cisco architecture, Software version LMS 2.6. Three main hubs are Cisco Catalyst 6504-E Switches and many switches such as Cisco Catalyst 3560-24PS Switches. and 105 Wireless access points (it's a large yacht).

I have an issue when we have been somewhere for a long time, such as New Zealand, when anyone uses their device such as an iPhone, it shows location as New Zealand. So far so good. However we have just spent three months in Hawaii and it is still showing New Zealand as our location. When I go outside and it picks up proper satellite that is resolved, however as soon as I come back inside it goes back to New Zealand. This has been happening for the last couple of years. It's been more of an annoyance than anything until lately when the owner has started asking why his phone is showing him in the wrong part of the world.

I've read online that equipment stores this  information to aid AGPS devices, but I assume that when they designed this equipment (Cisco for example) they never thought about it all moving around the world. If we wait long enough and we are laid up long enough, it will eventually update, but then it will keep that information for the next 6 months maybe.

Can anyone explain why this happens (where it gets the GPS information in the first place and more importantly tell me how I can flush this information out, or change it so it updates daily?

1 Reply 1

motoryachta
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone read this forum?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card