cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GVRP not working on Cisco SG300-28

edryanalburo1
Level 1
Level 1

I have three Cisco SG300-28 switches. I setup a test lab environment with a core (server) switch in Layer 3 mode and the rest are (clients) in Layer 2 mode. As I understand, these switches doesn't support VTP, only GVRP. And GVRP works the same with VTP. Whenever you create VLANs on the core or main switch, other switches will learn from the core switch and no VLAN creation for the client switches will be made. (Hope I got it right. I guess GVRP is more complicated than VTP).

GOAL: Obviously, I want to use GVRP to create VLANs on the main switch so that I won't be doing it all over on the other switches.

The following is my (so far) configuration through CLI only:

I haven't use the web GUI. My SW version is 1.1.2.0.

1. I already enabled the GVRP globally.

2. I configured GE 12 & GE 24 as TRUNK ports for the core switch that connects both switches, I also configured GE 12 ports for both the client switches. All other ports are in ACCESS mode. (I am connected to GE 2 port)

3. I enabled GVRP on the TRUNK ports only for all switches.

4. I allowed all vlans on the TRUNK ports. (#switchport trunk allowed vlan add all)

5. All TRUNK ports registration mode is NORMAL and dynamic vlan creation is enabled on all trunk and access ports.

6. I created 3 VLANs without configuring its IP Addresses:

vlan 2 = MGT

vlan 3 = IT

vlan 4 = MKTG

I don't know if I missed something on the configuration or the connection. I was expecting the vlans I created will be learned from other switches. Hope somebody can help me out. Thanks a lot.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is it necessary to enable all switches to layer 3 mode? Or depends on the network setup? Does this affect the GVRP?

2. Does switching ports to TRUNK mode means they are already 802.1q ports by default? Because I can't configure TRUNK ports to 802.1q (#switchport encapsulation dot1q) config like other switches.

SAMPLE CONFIGURATION:

*** START CONFIG***

vlan database

vlan 2-4

exit

interface range gi12,gi24

gvrp enable

exit

gvrp enable

interface vlan 1

ip address 172.10.10.10 255.255.255.0

exit

interface vlan 1

no ip address dhcp

exit

no bonjour enable

bonjour interface range vlan 1

hostname SW1

line telnet

exec-timeout 0

exit

line telnet

password 1e3855b6b22c5775cd12207ced02a082b073e4a8 encrypted

exit

line console

password 1e3855b6b22c5775cd12207ced02a082b073e4a8 encrypted

exit

enable password level 15 encrypted 1e3855b6b22c5775cd12207ced02a082b073e4a8

no snmp-server server

clock source sntp

no ip domain lookup

ip telnet server

banner login ^C

SWITCH 1: PLEASE DO NOT LOG IN

^C

interface gigabitethernet1

switchport mode access

exit

interface gigabitethernet2

switchport mode access

exit

interface gigabitethernet11

switchport mode access

exit

interface gigabitethernet12

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 2-4

exit

interface gigabitethernet13

switchport mode access

exit

interface gigabitethernet14

switchport mode access

exit

interface vlan 2

name MGT

exit

interface vlan 3

name IT

exit

interface vlan 4

name MKTG

exit

*** END CONFIG ***

3 Replies 3

edryanalburo1
Level 1
Level 1

I created the VLANs manually on each swtich and everything is working fine now. But I configured the IP addresses of each of the VLANs on my core switch only. I can ping now the VLAN's ip from client switches and from any computer that is a member of a VLAN. I'm still don't know how GVRP function as defined.

trust me i am also heaving the same issue with my 3 Cisco SF300-24 ports ad i need the same what you was looking forward for...

can you please check my question and comment what i am missing :(

Aside to this i will try creating Vlans on my client switch without assigning the ip address as it's already assign and created on core switch.

Thanks,

Sandy

Hi! 

I have the same issue configuring and creating dynamic vlan thought GVRP...

I enabled it on both switches but VLAN wer not dynamically created on connected switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card