cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Have a question about "no ip gratuitous-arps" command on cisco 3560G and 2960G switches

kossuth78
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.  Just looking for some verification.  I am going through literally a checklist and saw this on the checklist.  Obviously didn't want to blindly enter it and have been looking for some documentation/explanation but haven't found exactly what I needed.

The short of the scenero in question.  We have a few BSD boxes on the system running CARP and a few Juniper boxes running NSRP.  Would issuing the "no ip gratuitous-arps" command break the failover capability of these systems?  The 3560Gs are only acting as layer II switches and obviously that's all the 2960Gs are. 

My understanding based off my prior reading is the command is used typically by routers where it would send out gratuitous arps for a new system upon it's connection (typically in the past PPP) if "ip gratuitous-arps local" was executed.  Additionally my understanding is that this command (other than meeting the checklist requirements) SHOULD have zero effect on the switching topology in the event of a CARP/NSRP failover.  What I'm after here is confirmation of what I've read and my understanding on this command and it's usage.  It didn't just jump off the page and be super understandable to me as I was researching, thus I still have some questions.

Thanks for your help guys/gals

NOTE:  Here is the document I was reading trying to get an understanding before coming on here http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr/command/ipaddr-cr-book.pdf

1 Reply 1

kossuth78
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card