cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[Help] About Routing!

thienphongtran
Level 1
Level 1

I created below model. it was configured basically. now, i want to route a packet from Com 1 to Com 4 go through MSwitch 2. It means the path: Com 1 -> MSwitch 0 -> MSwitch 2 -> MSwitch 1 -> Com 4. Now, I have configured RIP method to all MSwitch and the path actually is(I used TRACERT command): Com 1 -> MSwitch 0 -> MSwitch 1 -> Com 4.

much appreciate!

p/s: Sorry my eng isnt clear

4.PNG

14 Replies 14

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
By default, RIP "counts" hops, and the shortest number of hops is the path used. I.e. using MSW2 adds a hop, which is why it's not used.

To use it, you need to increase the hop count between MSW0 and MSW1 by 2. (I recall [?] this can be done with an offset adjustment.)

@Joseph W. Doherty thanks for reply! Now i want to connect other network (Ex: 1.1.7.0) to MSwitch 0. I want this network still get through path: 1.1.7.0 -> MS0 -> MS1->Com4. and Net 1.1.1.0: MS0 ->MS2 ->MS1->Com 4. 

If i use Com 3 as a Proxy Server and set Com 1 to use this Proxy, It's ok?

If you want different source networks to use different paths to the same destination, often you would use PBR (policy based routing).

As to using a proxy, generally the host needs to share a network with the proxy server, which is not the case for Com 1 and Com 3.

@Joseph W. Doherty you mean Clients and Proxy Server must to be in the same network?

I believe, physically, yet.

@Joseph W. Doherty i use proxy server in other country that i believe it's Network is different from my Network, it still run correct. why is that?

What kind of proxy is it? I'm thinking of a network proxy, but if it's something like a protocol proxy, then yes, it doesn't have to be on the same network.

@Joseph W. Doherty  i created a model. Clients, Server and Peer0 are connected to each other(ping ok). now i want Clients to use a Proxy server to change their IP into Server's IP. ex: 1.1.3.x -> 1.1.1.x. 

Where should i set up Proxy server?6.PNG

Sorry, it's unclear to me what you're trying to accomplish.

@Joseph W. Doherty Peer0 is a external network. i want Clients to be connected to this network via a Proxy server. and Output IP of Proxy Ssrver will be kind of 1.1.1.x or 1.1.2.x as the Server's IP. Where should i put that Proxy server at? Sorry my english is so bad.

"Sorry my english is so bad."

My understanding of your native language is probably (much, much) worst than yours of English. ;)

Anyway, what it sounds like you're describing is NAT.(?)

If so, a NAT device only needs to be in-line, somewhere, between the ends of the conversations.

What's confusing me, a proxy server usually intercepts some particular protocol, like a web proxy. Such, too, are often in-line, although other devices, that are in-line, might redirect traffic to them. Depending how the in-line device redirects to the actual proxy device, that device could be elsewhere in the network.

For example, the web proxy on Cisco routers can tunnel redirected traffic to a web proxy.

@Joseph W. Doherty my knowledge about Proxy is so vague. according to my knowledge, Proxy must have 2 IP at least (input and output). I want clients to connect to Peer0 via Proxy that have output IP is 1.1.1.x or 1.1.2.x

Ah, well again, that sounds more like you're describing a NAT (network address translation) service, which I don't recall generally being referred to as a proxy but perhaps in could be in a very generic way.

See if these articles make sense, or not:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

@Joseph W. Doherty sorry for my late reply. i am on another duty now. thanks for your support!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card