Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help/ajuda - stack 3750x

Good morning to all

I'm having problems setting up 2 3750x switches in stack.

On switch 1 I set everything ok, switch 2 I leave with no configuration, I put the cables as I usually stack configured 3750 V2 successfully ... but the 3750x does not work.

Through the command switch sw I check that the master switch is my first, but it  does not recognize the second switch (this second should be the member) is connected.

Switch # sh switch

Switch / Stack Mac Address: e02f.6d48.8d00

H / W Current

Switch # Role Mac Address Priority Version State

-------------------------------------------------- --------

* 1 3 1 Master Ready e02f.6d48.8d00

I put the console cable to the switch 2 and the same thing happens, it is as master and does not recognize that there is another switch connected through the cable stack.

Switch # sh switch

Switch / Stack Mac Address: b0fa.eb77.2f80

H / W Current

Switch # Role Mac Address Priority Version State

-------------------------------------------------- --------

* 2 Master b0fa.eb77.2f80 1 1 Ready

I changed priorities and also changed the number of switches through the command renumber also without success, as well as the change to another cable, eliminating also the possibility of damage of cable and I took it off and replaced it several times just to check.

IOS versions are also the same.

I used the command found in official material switch "X" stack port "X" enable on the ports that are down as well ,and it did not work.

Does anyone know what could it be? Is it missing some command?

Thank you

Anderson Puliafico

Bom dia a todos

Estou com problemas para configurar 2 switches 3750x em stack.

No switch 1 eu configuro tudo ok, no switch 2 eu deixo sem nenhuma configuração, coloco os cabos stack normalmente como já configurei 3750 V2 com sucesso...porém no 3750x não funciona.

Através do comando sw switch verifico que o master é o meu primeiro switch, porém ele sequer reconhece o segundo switch (este segundo deveria ser o member) está conectado.

Switch#sh switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : e02f.6d48.8d00

H/W Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1 Master e02f.6d48.8d00 3 1 Ready

Coloco o cabo de console no switch 2 e acontece o mesmo, ele está como master e não reconhece que há outro switch conectado através do cabo stack.

Switch#sh switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : b0fa.eb77.2f80

H/W   Current

Switch# Role   Mac Address     Priority Version State

----------------------------------------------------------

*2       Master b0fa.eb77.2f80     1     1       Ready

Alterei as prioridades e também alterei o número dos switches através do comando renumber também sem sucesso, assim como a troca por outro cabo, eliminando também a possibilidade de cabo danificado e tirei e recoloquei diversas vezes por desencargo.

As versões do IOS também são as mesmas.

Usei o comando que achei no material oficial switch "X" stack port "X" enable nas portas que estão como down e também não deu certo.

Alguem sabe o que poderia ser? Está faltando algum comando?

Obrigado

Anderson Puliafico

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Do you have the same IOS version loaded on both devices?

Are you using the stacking cable that comes in the box?

Did you make sure the stacking cables inserted correctly and the scrows are tight?

HTH

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Do you have the same IOS version loaded on both devices?

Are you using the stacking cable that comes in the box?

Did you make sure the stacking cables inserted correctly and the scrows are tight?

HTH

Hi Reza

Both switches have the same IOS. Version 12.2 (55) SE5

I can not tell if I'm just using the cables that came in the box, because in my company we have a box full of cables stack. Do you know if there are cable stack variations? (except for length)

The cables are very tight  and well adjusted.

Additional information that I got in the log:

"* Feb 28 21:04:22:% STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN

* Feb 28 21:04:22:% STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN "

I used the command switch "X" stack port "X" enable on the the ports and it still does not work. The switches do not see each other and both stay as master and there is no member.

Hi Reza

Ambos switches possuem mesmo IOS. Version 12.2(55)SE5

Não sei dizer se estou usando exatamente os cabos que vieram na caixa, pois na minha empresa temos uma caixa cheia de cabos stack. Você sabe me dizer se existem variações de cabo stack? (com exceção de comprimento)

Os cabos estão bem apertados/ajustados.

Uma informação adicional que peguei pelo log:

“*Feb 28 21:04:22: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN

*Feb 28 21:04:22: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN”

Utilizei o comando switch “X” stack port “X” enable nas portas e mesmo assim não funciona. Os switches não se enxergam e ambos ficam como master e não há nenhum member.

SHIBI V DEV
Level 1
Level 1

First confirm the IOS of the both Switches are matching , if there is mismatch, try to load same IOS in both Switch and connect stack cable as mentioned

First Switch Stack2 Port----------to -----  Second Switch Stack 1 Port

First Switch Stack1 Port----------to -----  Second Switch Stack 2 Port

Hi Shibi

Both switches have the same IOS. Version 12.2 (55) SE5

And the wires were already connected in this order you said.

Additional information that i got in the log:

"* Feb 28 21:04:22:% STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN

* Feb 28 21:04:22:% STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN "

I used the command switch "X" stack port "X" enable on the the ports and it still does not work. The switches do not see each other and both stay as master and there is no member.

Hi Shibi

Ambos switches possuem mesmo IOS. Version 12.2(55)SE5

E os cabos já estavam conectados nessa ordem que você falou.

Uma informação adicional que peguei pelo log:

“*Feb 28 21:04:22: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN

*Feb 28 21:04:22: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN”

Utilizei o comando switch “X” stack port “X” enable nas portas e mesmo assim não funciona. Os switches não se enxergam e ambos ficam como master e não há nenhum member.

Hello,

Those error messages are related to hardware, either the cable or the stack port is faulty.

I will recommend you to open up a case and request a RMA

It's strange because I have 3 switches with the same problem ...

É estranho pois tenho 3 switches com o mesmo problema...

Anderson,

I had issue while connecting 7 Switches in stack.I will explain the Steps i did to resolve the issue

- Removed all Stack cables from Master and Made its priority as 15 ,and created all the VLANs in Master

-Erased running config from Second Switch and connected stack like

First Switch Stack1 Port----------to -----  Second Switch Stack 2 Port

Then it joined to stack as Member

-Then we added third Switch like this

Second Switch Stack2 Port----------to -----  Third Switch Stack 1 Port

Third Switch Stack2 Port----------to -----  First Switch Stack 1 Port

Then third Switch joined to Stack.  Like this each Switch added in ring and it worked.

Diego Romero
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Make sure you have the same IOS images in both switches.

Remember that the switch must be added turned off to the stack then it will powered on.

Make sure the cables are working fine, try play around with them and see show stack ports.

Regards,

The IOS are the same, the cables are placed with the second switch off and I tested several cables and it did not work.

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anderson,

I just wanted to share the managing switch stack portion of the

configuration guide with you concerning adding or removing stack

members. As discussed when adding removing switch we recommend powering

down the switch in question.

Managing switch stacks

http://www-cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1192957

Make sure the switches that you add to or remove from the switch stack

are powered off.

After adding or removing stack members, make sure that the switch stack

is operating at full bandwidth (32 Gbps). Press the Mode button on a

stack member until the Stack mode LED is on. The last two port LEDs on

all switches in the stack should be green. Depending on the switch

model, the last two ports are either 10/100/1000 ports or small

form-factor pluggable (SFP) module ports. If, on any of the switches,

one or both of the last two port LEDs are not green, the stack is not

operating at full bandwidth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

�Adding powered-on switches (merging) causes the stack masters of the

merging switch stacks to elect a stack master from among themselves. The

re-elected stack master retains its role and configuration and so do its

stack members. All remaining switches, including the former stack

masters, reload and join the switch stack as stack members. They change

their stack member numbers to the lowest available numbers and use the

stack configuration of the re-elected stack master.

�Removing powered-on stack members causes the switch stack to divide

(partition) into two or more switch stacks, each with the same

configuration. This can cause an IP address configuration conflict in

your network. If you want the switch stacks to remain separate, change

the IP address or addresses of the newly created switch stacks. If you

did not intend to partition the switch stack:

* a. *Power off the newly created switch stacks.

* b. *Reconnect them to the original switch stack through their

StackWise ports.

* c. *Power on the switches.

For more information about cabling and powering switch stacks, see the

"Switch Installation" chapter in the hardware installation guide.

Also MAke sure you have configured the cmd as suggested:

switch 1 stack port 1 enable/disbale.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Thanks for sharing the article, I read the text, and made new tests without success.

HI,

Can you try replacing the stack cables?

Regards

Inayath

paulwoodsy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anderson,

Did you manage to resolve your stack issue?

I too have encountered the same issue, in a nutshell:-

I have 2 x 3750x switches both running identical IOS -  12.2(55)SE5 & both connected using stackwise cables.

WS-C3750X-12S is priority 15 & switch number 1

ws-c3750x-24 is priority 1 & is switch number 2

I have enabled each switch stack port via "switch X stack port X enable"

I have replaced the stackwise cables. Reloaded on numerous occassions but still no sign of the stack appearing?

They appear as seperate Masters....

Any help here would be appreciated? I'm thinking it maybe something to do with the IOS revision so next step maybe to downgrade/upgrade 12.2(55)SE5...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card