Views
Helpful
Replies

Help finding network switch

ahlibert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

I'm trying to find a product example of network switches which matches each of the specifications below:

Layer 2 Switch - PoE+ 48x 1GbE + 2x 10GbE SFP+ fixed ports

And a

Layer 3 Switch - PoE+ 24x 1GbE + 2x 10GbE SFP+ fixed ports, EIGRP Capable

If anyone can let me know which 2 models of network switch matches those details, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Enterprise Level switches look for Cat 9K for Longitive. (Look for Cat 9200 and Cat9300 (I prefer Cat 9300)

https://www.cisco.com/site/uk/en/products/networking/switches/catalyst-9000-switches/index.html

If you looking Lower end models ( Small business) :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/small-business/networking/switches.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you BB, this was very helpful.

I think ones from the lower end models you linked would be ideal but I was considering ones from the Catalyst 900 series based on the little bit of research that I did.

Do you have any from the Catalyst 1000 series you would recommend (layer 2 and layer 3)? That are EIRPG capable or is that only a feature in the 9000 series?

as per i know Cat 1K support only static routing. (not that I see any eigrp support)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-1000-series-switches/nb-06-cat1k-ser-switch-faq-cte-en.html

9200 support with limitation, Cat 9300 has wider support.

BB

I understand. Thank you so very much, this has been very helpful.

no worries if this meet your requirement, kindly mark as resolved.

BB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@ahlibert wrote:

Layer 2 Switch - PoE+ 48x 1GbE + 2x 10GbE SFP+ fixed ports

And a

Layer 3 Switch - PoE+ 24x 1GbE + 2x 10GbE SFP+ fixed ports, EIGRP Capable

Are these switches going to be located in the same rack?  Because if they are all going into the same rack, even though 9200 is ideal for Layer 2 switch, 9300 would benefit more because the Layer 2 and Layer 3 switch can be completely collapsed into a single physical stack.

Y'know what?  That was a really dumb idea.  Stacking a Layer 3 switch is akin to asking for trouble because the stacking module and daemon will introduce instability to the entire stack.

Wassim Aouadi
Level 4
Level 4

You could look up these two:

C9200L-48P-4X as the layer-2 switch
C9300L-24P-4X as the layer-3 switch

Regards

Wassim

This is good. Thank you Wassim.

I'm going to check these out and make a serious note of them. This is really helpful to me since I'm not well versed in networking.

I decided to go with the C9300 that you recommended as the layer 3 switch and something from the C1000 series as the layer 2 switch in order to save on costs.

ahlibert
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you community for all of your help. I really appreciate all of you.

ahlibert
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I got the guidance I was looking for in order to decide what should be purchased. 

Thank you all.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card