Views
Helpful
Replies

Help! New to Fiber-Optic networking

vmartinjr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, everyone!

This is my first time to use Fiber-optic equipment for our company network.

The supplier has installed the fiber-optic cables and 3 switches, 2 of which are SGE2010 units, which are located in 2 other buildings.  They will both be connected to the central switch which right now is a 24-port Cisco switch, located in a newly-constructed building.

Just today, the supplier told us that they have encountered switches that have suddenly hanged/stopped performing their functions.  He says Cisco has confirmed the problem but he can't give me any link/documentation about this issue.  He is now suggesting that we do not use the 3 switches for distribution and instead he will supply 3 more switches to connect to the original 3 via UTP, to avoid "THE PROBLEM".

Is he just pulling my leg so he can earn more by selling us equipment we don't actually need?

Victor

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Victor, I've never heard of this. I wouldn't say I'm an authority... but I've been working on those SXE switches for quite a number of years now and I don't mean just my own. I think those switches have other problems, especially as a stack unit. If at all cost, I would not used them "stacked", only standalone. That will save you some serious headaches.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Victor, I've never heard of this. I wouldn't say I'm an authority... but I've been working on those SXE switches for quite a number of years now and I don't mean just my own. I think those switches have other problems, especially as a stack unit. If at all cost, I would not used them "stacked", only standalone. That will save you some serious headaches.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Just today, the supplier told us that they have encountered switches that have suddenly hanged/stopped performing their functions.  He says Cisco has confirmed the problem but he can't give me any link/documentation about this issue.

The only thing I have heard of recently is due to an IOS bug involving 2960X/XR fibre connection to a 4500R+E.  This is due to a bug with the 2960X/XR IOS version EX3.  Bug fix with the recently-released EX4.

Thank you both for your replies.

It seems the problem only occurs every six (6) months of uptime or so.  A quick reset of the switch would fix the problem, he said.

I say we'll go ahead and use the 3 switches for distribution, but no stacking, following Tom's advise.

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card