Views
Helpful
Replies

Help! New to Fiber-Optic networking

vmartinjr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, everyone!

This is my first time to use Fiber-optic equipment for our company network.

The supplier has installed the fiber-optic cables and 3 switches, 2 of which are SGE2010 units, which are located in 2 other buildings.  They will both be connected to the central switch which right now is a 24-port Cisco switch, located in a newly-constructed building.

Just today, the supplier told us that they have encountered switches that have suddenly hanged/stopped performing their functions.  He says Cisco has confirmed the problem but he can't give me any link/documentation about this issue.  He is now suggesting that we do not use the 3 switches for distribution and instead he will supply 3 more switches to connect to the original 3 via UTP, to avoid "THE PROBLEM".

Is he just pulling my leg so he can earn more by selling us equipment we don't actually need?

Victor

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Victor, I've never heard of this. I wouldn't say I'm an authority... but I've been working on those SXE switches for quite a number of years now and I don't mean just my own. I think those switches have other problems, especially as a stack unit. If at all cost, I would not used them "stacked", only standalone. That will save you some serious headaches.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Victor, I've never heard of this. I wouldn't say I'm an authority... but I've been working on those SXE switches for quite a number of years now and I don't mean just my own. I think those switches have other problems, especially as a stack unit. If at all cost, I would not used them "stacked", only standalone. That will save you some serious headaches.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Just today, the supplier told us that they have encountered switches that have suddenly hanged/stopped performing their functions.  He says Cisco has confirmed the problem but he can't give me any link/documentation about this issue.

The only thing I have heard of recently is due to an IOS bug involving 2960X/XR fibre connection to a 4500R+E.  This is due to a bug with the 2960X/XR IOS version EX3.  Bug fix with the recently-released EX4.

Thank you both for your replies.

It seems the problem only occurs every six (6) months of uptime or so.  A quick reset of the switch would fix the problem, he said.

I say we'll go ahead and use the 3 switches for distribution, but no stacking, following Tom's advise.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card