Views
Helpful
Replies

Help removing switch from provision

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have 2 x 3750's in a stack, switch 2 is the master.  We only have 5 hosts in each switch so we decided to move all hosts into switch to and removed switch 1 as we need it elsewhere.  Anyway all worked fine, but I wanted to tidy the config up as it was still provisioned so I removed the provisioning for switch 1 and the config was now showing ports 2/0/1 to 2/0/24, I then wanted to renumber switch 2 in the stack to 1 and saved the config to NVRAM and reloaded and then disaster the switch reloaded with it provisioned with 2 switches.  Switch 1 was now the main switch with no config on ports 1/0/1 to 1/0/24, but the correct config was still on 2/0/1 to 2/0/24 so I just copied those ports over switch 1's ports and then removed the second switch and all was good, but I did this all wrong, what is the best way to un-provision a switch from a stack and change the master?

The more I think about it when the switch 1 member was removed should I of copied the port config from the switch 2 (master) first and overlaid it on ports 1/0/1 to 1/0/24, renumber then master form 2 to 1 then rebooted, then removed the 2 switch from the provision?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's the bad thing about removing the stack master 1 and renumbering the rest.

What you did is the right, remove the stack 1 from the "provisioning" statement and changing the config (cut-n-paste style).

There's nothing you can do about it and it's the only way there.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card