Views
Helpful
Replies

help to connect 2 switches together

Amer Salem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need your help to can i make 2 switches 2950 and 2960 connecting it together through  trunk port,so in my question is what the command that should be on the trunk port???

I wrote the below command but it's not acceptable:
Switch(condig-if)#switchport trunk encapsolation isl

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As both switches only support 802.1.q the command would be: switchport mode trunk.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

thanks for your response

I did that right now but still the pc unable on the ping to other pc in other switch

Hi,

are the 2 PCs in the same VLAN? if not then you must do routing to pass traffic between them.

So on each switch: show vlan brief to see which vlans are configured and which ports belong to them

then verify trunking (  are all vlans allowed and not blocking or pruned): show interfaces trunk

then are your ports up: show interfaces status | i connected

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

abakrbshat wrote:

Hi,

thanks for your response

I did that right now but still the pc unable on the ping to other pc in other switch

Do the interfaces on the switches come up when connected? What do you get when you input "show interface X/Y" on each switch?

Are the source and destination PC in the same VLAN (1 by default, something else if it's been changed), and have IP addresses in the same subnet?

And, lastly - are they Windows boxes? If so, do you have the firewall turned OFF? Recent Windows boxes seem to block PING by default unless you tell them otherwise.

thanks, my friends for your support the issue has been resolved It was a cable problem that connected two switches together where was put it as crossover.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card