cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help With Trunk

dave cooper
Level 1
Level 1

I have a server that needs to be setup with a trunk port with VLAN 12,14,15,20. It also needs an untagged VLAN 10

Which config is correct

A)

Switch# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1qSwitch# switchport mode dynamic desirableSwitch# switchport trunk native vlan 10Switch-A# switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,12,14,15,20

B)

Switch# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1qSwitch# switchport mode dynamic desirableSwitch# switchport trunk native vlan 10Switch-A# switchport trunk allowed vlan 12,14,15,20
Does VLAN 10 need to be on the trunk port?

1 Reply 1

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dave,

I have a server that needs to be setup with a trunk port with VLAN 12,14,15,20. It also needs an untagged VLAN 10

Answer: Below is the config to achieve your query:

SwitchA#conf t

SwitchA(config)# interface G1/0

SwitchA(Config-if)#Switch trunk encap dot1q

SwitchAConfig-if)#Switch trunk allowed vlan 12-20 >>These vlans will be tagged.

SwitchA(config-if)#switchport trunk native vlan 10 >>> This cmd will untagged the vlan 10 going out of this trunk port. Make sure the other end also mark the vlan 10 as native to avoid vlan leaking.

SwitchAConfig-if)#Switchport mode dynamic des

Same config to be on the SwitchB port connecting to Switch A.

2- No you need not have to put the vlan 10 in the allowed vlan on the trunk port as you are already defining it as native vlan.( I have tested this and it works without allowing the vlan on the trunk and by just configuring the native vlan..) 100% guaranteed.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate if this info is helpfull.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card