Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availability For 3650 Catalyst Core Switches

Abdel-Nasser
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone 
I have the topology which attached in the discussion.
As shown in the topology I used two Catalyst 3650 as core switches, also I used SVI to allow VLANs to communicate. Besides, I used rpvst to make high availability in case one of the core switches goes down. After that to check the availability I shut down all of the ports on core switch-1 but unfortunately, the topology went down.
I need your help to solve this issue.
With Regards
Abdel-Nasser

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Can you be more specific about your definition of the topology going down? Were the PCs not able to reach their gateways? Could not reach each other in different VLANs?

I assume you are running a FHRP between the core switches?

With Core-switch-1 shutdown, what is the FRHP state of core-switch-2 for the VLANs?

Also with core-switch-1 shutdown, what is the STP state on core-switch2,  switch0 and switch2 ?

cheers,

Seb.

Dear Seb Rupik 
Thanks a lot for your replay.
On the two core switches, I just configured rapid-pvst protocol and SVIs (I didn't configure a HRSP protocol).

Before shutting down all the ports on switch-1 all of the PCs can communicate together with no problem, but after shutting all the ports for the previous switch, the PCs can't communicate together. Each PC can ping just to its default gateway. 

-----
With My Regards 
Abdel-Nasser

If you haven't configured a FHRP then the default gateway for all the PCs will be lost when core-switch-1 shuts down.

You should configure a FHRP on both core switches and then re-configure the PCs to use the FHRP VIP as their default gateway.

cheers,

Seb.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card