Views
Helpful
Replies

High availability SG300-28

Henriqueps
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two cisco SG300-28, and I want to do a high availability scenario with it.

Anybody know if is possible and how I could do it?

I've read about Spanning tree, but I really haven't found how to do this.

If anybody could help me, I'll be very thankful

Selection_594.jpg

3 Replies 3

keglass
Level 7
Level 7

Henrique,

I am moving your question to the Switching space in the Network Architecture Community for better visibility and access to feedback.

Switching

I hope this helps.
Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

David Hild
Level 11
Level 11

The SG300-28 isn't stackable, which would be the only way to do high availability on an access switch. Spanning Tree is not a high availability methodology, it is a loop mitigation technology. It prevents loops by blocking ports. So even though there may be two or more available paths, only one path will ever operate at a time.

You can use stackable switches such as the 2960X to accomplish this. If they are within a few feet of each other then the traditional stack module will be fine, but if they are separated by distance you can use the FlexStack-Extended module. You then configure port-channels between the switch stack and the edge devices.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks a lot for reply David.

I'll check these switches out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card