cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High input errors on NPE-G2 gigabit ports

adavenport
Level 1
Level 1

Ever since replacing an NPE-G1 with an NPE-G2 in our 7206, the two main interfaces used are showing alarming amounts of input errors. In addition, we have a gut feel that overall throughput rates is not what it used to be.

Both interfaces connect to a c3750 switch and are carrying multiple vlans.

The attached file has the 'show interface' output for each interface, with highlights at the data that has us worried.

Is it something simple like not enough buffer space? Something default differently than the NPE-G1 did?

Any help appreciated.

Roger, Harvey Mudd College

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Looks like you are running into BUG ID CSCsf32623. The bug should be fixed in 12.4(4)XD4.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Definetly not right . How do you have the interfaces setup . Normally with gig we just let the interfaces autonegotiate and everything works correctly , myself I would not hardcode gig on either side just set as auto . If you can maybe you can post configs for the ports on both sides . Anything posted in the log ? Is it possible you have overloaded the bus ? If so then you would see something about too many bandwidth points on a bus . On the 7206's you have to figure out bandwidth points for the installed interfaces and cannot just fill the slots up with whatever you want , just something to check .

Well, the config hasn't changed since it was an NPE-G1 and it did not have this issue. There is nothing particularly unusual about it.

These interfaces are on the NPE itself and not subject to bandwidth points. This is also the same as the NPE-G1.

The output drops are expected. These are from the output service policy. Its the unclassified input errors I'm wondering about. It looks to be a little over 1% of the total packet rate.

Roger

CSCsf32623 maybe?

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Looks like you are running into BUG ID CSCsf32623. The bug should be fixed in 12.4(4)XD4.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

Mike and Arul,

Yep, that certainly exactly matches our symptoms and we are running 12.4(4)XD2,

which was the most current (and only) version for the NPE-G2.

We will have to wait for semester break to upgrade to XD4.

I will rate your posts. Thanks very much.

Roger

Hi all,

I have the same problem (ignored increasing in Gi 0/2), but working with NPE-G2 C7200-SPSERVICESK9-M 12.4(4)XD10.

The bug say it is solved with 12.4(4)XD4.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card