Views
Helpful
Replies

Hostname Not Loading

CarltonM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Have a couple of IE2000 switches with a curious problem in that they will not load the hostname correctly and keep reverting to the default "Switch" at bootup??

While the switch is running, if I change the hostname (MySwitch1 for example) then the prompt changes accordingly all OK. Show running-config then shows the new hostname I have set and all is fine. However on reboot (either via power cycle or via reload command) they always revert back to "Switch" and the show running-config output shows the hostname once again as Switch.

The odd bit is that if I look at the boot config file (in flash) and / or the startup-config or underlying-config files in nvram using the more command - these all show the hostname I have set correctly (e.g. MySwitch1). So it would appear that the hostname is stored correctly in the boot config files but just not being loaded correctly??

The only difference between these switches which are not working correctly and the remaining 10 or so which are, is that initially I created a new config file for these switches and changed the boot config setup to point at this file (i.e. named the file something meaningful to reflect the actual device). In the other switches I have simply left the boot file / config as default.text. I have done all manner of resets, deleted config files, reverted the boot config back to the default.text file etc etc and still will not load the hostname.

No other settings seem to be affected at all.

Firmware version for interest shows at 15.2(4)EA5.

Any ideas??

Many thanks all in advance......

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CarltonM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Just to round this off - we finally found a resolution just in case anyone else has a similar issue.......

Long story short, a colleague looked at this for a few hours before finally entering the command "no boot config-file" and rebooted - after which everything began to work fine......

There are a few curious things about this "fix"........

1) It would never have dawned on me personally that "no boot config-file" could even be a valid command - surely you have to point the system at a valid config file one way or the other??? Would be interested if anyone could fill me in on the logic here!!??

2) When first taking these switches out of the box, first powering up and simply entering the "copy running-config start-config" command the system creates / writes to the flash:/default.text file and then uses that for boot..... However after entering the "no boot config-file", doing a full "write erase", flushing any other overhanging files etc and rebooting, subsequently entering the "copy running-config start-config" command now creates a flash:/config.text (as opposed to default.text) - which seems very odd and suggests that the "no boot config-file" is making much deeper changes than simply saying there is "no boot config-file"......

3) Having applied the above 'fix' to this switch, I now cannot recreate the original issue which I started out with above....... Can now create numerous different config files, switch between them (i.e. point at them to use at boot) and everything runs fine......... This would again suggest that there were deeper underlying issues 'out of the box' that the "no boot config-file" command appears to have somehow rectified....?

Hope this helps someone out at some point.......

Cheers,

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Post the complete output to the command "sh version".

Hi Leo

Here's a full trace of the sh ver:

Cisco IOS Software, IE2000 Software (IE2000-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(4)EA5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2016 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 20-Dec-16 13:47 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is IE2000 boot loader
BOOTLDR: IE2000 Boot Loader (IE2000-HBOOT-M) Version 15.2(3r)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Switch uptime is 49 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/ie2000-universalk9-mz.152-4.EA5/ie2000-universalk9-mz.152-4.EA5.bin"
Last reload reason: Reload command

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

License Level: lanbase
License Type: Permanent
Next reload license Level: lanbase

cisco IE-2000-8TC-G-B (PowerPC405) processor (revision P0) with 262144K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FDO2211U0TB
Last reset from power-on
2 Virtual Ethernet interfaces
8 FastEthernet interfaces
2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

64K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address       : 70:79:B3:6D:9F:00
Motherboard assembly number     : 73-13680-02
Motherboard serial number       : FDO221101GL
Model revision number           : P0
Motherboard revision number     : E0
Model number                    : IE-2000-8TC-G-B
System serial number            : FDO2211U0TB
Top Assembly Part Number        : 800-36504-01
Top Assembly Revision Number    : N0
Version ID                      : V01
Hardware Board Revision Number  : 0x03
CIP Serial Number               : 4A6D9F00
SKU Brand Name                  : Cisco

Switch Ports Model                     SW Version            SW Image          
------ ----- -----                     ----------            ----------        
*    1 10    IE-2000-8TC-G-B           15.2(4)EA5            IE2000-UNIVERSALK9-M

Configuration register is 0xF

Cheers,

If the hostname is in the private-config what happens if you do "copy private run"?

Hi Leo

If I simply do a "copy private run" it errors with:

%Error opening flash:private (No such file or directory)

private-config.text file exists in flash all OK however and appears to be updating all OK looking at timestamps / sizes as I make changes......

Regards,

CarltonM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Just to round this off - we finally found a resolution just in case anyone else has a similar issue.......

Long story short, a colleague looked at this for a few hours before finally entering the command "no boot config-file" and rebooted - after which everything began to work fine......

There are a few curious things about this "fix"........

1) It would never have dawned on me personally that "no boot config-file" could even be a valid command - surely you have to point the system at a valid config file one way or the other??? Would be interested if anyone could fill me in on the logic here!!??

2) When first taking these switches out of the box, first powering up and simply entering the "copy running-config start-config" command the system creates / writes to the flash:/default.text file and then uses that for boot..... However after entering the "no boot config-file", doing a full "write erase", flushing any other overhanging files etc and rebooting, subsequently entering the "copy running-config start-config" command now creates a flash:/config.text (as opposed to default.text) - which seems very odd and suggests that the "no boot config-file" is making much deeper changes than simply saying there is "no boot config-file"......

3) Having applied the above 'fix' to this switch, I now cannot recreate the original issue which I started out with above....... Can now create numerous different config files, switch between them (i.e. point at them to use at boot) and everything runs fine......... This would again suggest that there were deeper underlying issues 'out of the box' that the "no boot config-file" command appears to have somehow rectified....?

Hope this helps someone out at some point.......

Cheers,

Hi, I have this same issue on a 9300 stack. I've tried the command you mentioned below but the syntax isn't working for me or something. Can you tell me, exactly what was typed? Because 'no boot config-file' is not working as a valid command.

Cheers, G.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card