Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I get an ip address for connecting to a switch

Majid Jalinousi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I can connect to a 3750 switch and there is another 2960 switch connected to this switch.

The port of 3750 switch connected to 2960 switch is an access vlan 106.

There is a SVI interface ( vlan 110) in 3750 switch with ip address 10.0.1.75 that is management ip address i can connect to it.

When i do show cdp neighbor detail i see the ip address of 2960 switch is 172.16.1.30 but i can't ping this ip address from 3750 switch and i can't connect to it from my computer.

Is there any solution that I can get an ip address from 2960 switch to test connectivity to this switch?

Thanks in advance,

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

put the port connecting both switches in  trunk mode and create an SVI for Vlan 110 on the 2960 Switch and you'll be able to  connect to it.

Regards,

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks for your response

But i cant connect to 2960 switch for doing any action, I know there is SVI interface on it and i think it's interface vlan 110. I want to know how can i find ip address of this interface vlan? How can i get this kind of information from 3750 switch?

Hi,

show cdp neighbor detail should give you this info.

Regards,

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

I had done show cdp neighbor detail and I had found an ip address like 172.16.2.1.

The 3750 interface SVI was 10.0.1.75, anyway with this configuration I couldn't connect to 2960 switch.

Is there any command or method that I can get another ip address maybe vlan 110 ip address of 2960 switch(management SVI)?I think this ip address should be in subnet 10.0.1.0/24 that i can connect to it, because in 3750 there is no route.

Murtaza,

Sorry there is no way to get the ip address of thst vlan from 3750 switch.

Hth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card