Helpful
Replies

HOW DISTRIBUTE THE TRAFFIC THROUGH MPLS DOMAIN

alhanafe11
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have mpls domain consists from PE's Routers and many P routers , my target

How separate between real time traffic (VOIP ,Video) across this domain ,with other traffic types FTP,HTTP ?

I am already applied MPLS-TE with , but i have miss understand 

how assigned each traffic type to pass through specific tunnel I created , to avoid the congestion and delay . specially with real time application ?

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is not what MPLS-TE is used for.  If you want to prioritize your voice and video traffic you need to look at QOS.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/mplsqos.pdf

HTH

Thank you all Dears

Sorry ,about my previous question not clear enough.

My question exactly How distribute your income or outgoing traffic at PE's routers  to forwarding through created tunnels over MPLS Domain ? i.e each tunnel T1, passing traffic kind 1 and T2, passing traffic kind 2 ,..... so on

Could any one help me please,

Reagrds

Hi! That's DS-TE :) you can set different classes of TE-tunnels.

you can use the exp-bit if you have different classes in the same ip subnet, or if you have voice subnets/data subnets, you can keep it simple, and use routing through the tunnel.

check this! 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_te_path_setup/configuration/xe-3s/mp-te-path-setup-xe-3s-book/mp-te-tun-select-xe.html

I hope this help! :)

Thank you Dears

Could you please send full configuration to scenario consists at least from 4 or 5 P routers with 2 PE Routers to test what I'm looking in GNS3 Before implemented.

Regards

I don't know if you can try it on GNS3, you will need to check if the IOS supports ds-te first

Dear,

c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.150-1

support or do not  ?

As I can see, the standard version isn't supported on IOS, just on XE, following platforms, and in the following releases

In IOS just diff-serv-te is supported

You can try with the CSR1000, its free for less than 2Mbps

Thank you all dears,

really , I am gonna  to finishes my project , but still have some problems :

-1- How configure exactly the MPLS-TE  bandwidth, for interfaces

and  for the created tunnels (ip rsvb bandwidth ...../and tunnel mpls tr eng bandwidth ....... ) commands

because still confused  how to assign the actual bandwidth for some kind of traffic like voice or video traffic and best effort and monitoring this band. using PRTG or solar winds.

-2- under physical interfaces (like S1/0) or virtual tunnel interfaces (like T0) there is global and sub-pool bandwidths what is the difference and which one used to pass the the traffic i need it.

I read this article(MPLS Traffic Engineering (TE)—Automatic
Bandwidth Adjustment for TE Tunnels)

I need more clear documents or practical scenarios describe  how configure these parameters clearly.

hope I clarify what I need.

Thanks

pabloboscariol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi alhanafe11

As reza suggested to you, you can use the Diff-serv model, and prioritize at each mpls link, but as I can understand from your question, what you're trying to do is Diff-serv TE.

Diff-serv TE is, for example, take only the voice traffic, and put it on the mpls te-tunnel, but letting the other kind of packets go thru the normal path.

You can find information about ds-te pre-std, and both IETF (MAM and RDM) on internet, a great source is the book "MPLS-ENABLED APPLICATIONS" from Ina Minei and Julian Lucek. Is a tech book, not form a vendor. ISBN 978-0-470-66545-9

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card