Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I configure a Nexus switch for Simple LAN connectivity

wayne_hwm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have very limited networking background. I recently bought a Nexus 5596T switch for a simple LAN connectivity between my hosts computer and several servers. I realised that the Nexus is a managed switch unlike the Catalysts I am so used to Plug-and-Play. The Nexus also comes with a L3 layer license. I am unfamiliar with L3 switching/routing.

I have tens of hosts computers, Nexus 5596T, a Dell R740 Server running Windows Server 2016. There is no internet connectivity required, and no gateway. How do I configure the switch so that the devices can talk to each other and send files like how it would be if I plug in a Catalyst switch?

I have set all the ethernet ports to the same VLan 8, no shutdown. However they are still unable to detect each other.

I appreciate your time for answering my question. Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

make sure you have created the Vlan (8) as below, and that the ports are configured as in the example:

N5596T# configure terminal
N5596T(config)# vlan 8
N5596T(config-vlan)# name HOME
N5596T(config-vlan)# state active
N5596T(config-vlan)# no shutdown

N5596T(config)# interface ethernet 1/10
N5596T(config-if)# switchport access vlan 8
N5596T(config-if)# spanning-tree portfast

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

make sure you have created the Vlan (8) as below, and that the ports are configured as in the example:

N5596T(config)# vlan 8
N5596T(config-vlan)# name HOME
N5596T(config-vlan)# state active
N5596T(config-vlan)# no shutdown

N5596T(config)# interface ethernet 1/10
N5596T(config-if)# switchport access vlan 8
N5596T(config-if)# spanning-tree portfast

Thank you Georg! Appreciate your help. The devices are able to see each other after configuring the spanning tree.

Although the NX-OS has slightly different commands. I managed to set it using the following 

N5596T(config-if)# spanning-tree port type edge

Not sure if it is the same but the "help" mentioned it is PortFast so I think ya.

Anyway it is working now. Thank you.

Hello,

you are right, 'spanning-tree port type edge' is the NX-OS equivalent of the IOS 'spanning-tree portfast' command...

Glad you got it all working...

Hello

Just like to ask :

Are your wanting to route between vlans?
Does your vlan 8 require a L3 interface?
Will you be using a Fabirc extenders between the N5K and the servers?
Will you be wanting to mange this switch remotely

For any l3 interface or remote mgt like telnet or ssh you need to enable the feature for it.

conf t

feature interface vlan
int vlan 8
ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y.y

enabling telnet-ssh vtp
feature telnet 
feature ssh
feature vtp

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card