cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I find a polling IP address of a L2 switch?

RSundstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a good one. I need to find the polling IP address of an L2 switch (3560V2) in my network. I will describe the portion of my network in question.

There are multiple edge devices connected to an L2 switch (3560v2). The L2 switch uplinks to a core switch (4506).

I have the IP and MAC address of an edge device and also the polling IP address of the core switch.

Again, I simply need to find the polling IP address of the L2 switch.

I tried running Tracert to the edge device but tracert does not show the L2 switch hop.

Any ideas?

Bob

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You mean you want to see the Management IP Address of the 3650 switch?  What do you get when you run the "sh cdp neighbor detail" command from the 4500?

View solution in original post

"Show cdp nei det" from the neighbor switch will display the first active interface with IP address(thats allowed in the trunk)

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Thanks & Regards, Karthick Murugan CCIE#39285

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Karthick Murugan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The switch won't show up in the traceroute if it is not involved in the routing. Probably the switch is acting as pure Layer 2 for the data traffic and there should be a management IP(usually assigned on the management port). You may need to login to the switch via console and get the IP address.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You mean you want to see the Management IP Address of the 3650 switch?  What do you get when you run the "sh cdp neighbor detail" command from the 4500?

"Show cdp nei det" from the neighbor switch will display the first active interface with IP address(thats allowed in the trunk)

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Thank you Leo,

I was able to make your suggestion work well.

Bob

Hello Karthick,

I tried your suggest also. It gives much more detail and I will probably use it in the future as well.

Thank you very much,

Bob

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Robert. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card