cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How is the 720 Gbps Switching Capacity Calculated?

Muzammil Nakade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

Good day,

I am configuring the 6509-E sereis & need a clarification as per product literature avaliable its indicates that the Sup performance is 720gbps.

So 6509-E has a procision to use dual sup engine my understanding is as below;-

that using 2 WS-SUP720-3B will give me a collective performance of 1.4 tbps.

Please correct me if i am wrong on above udnerstanding of mine .

awaiting your urgnet reply/guidance on above.

Thx,

Muzammil N.

15 Replies 15

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

A little correction

1- 720gbps switching capacity means overall  capacity of switching within chassis..Meaning each module can send/receive data at 40gbps speed

so total will be 9*40= 360*2 =720 (in full duplex mode)

2- You can install two sup but at a time only one will be active and other will work as standby . you can verify same by "show redundancy" command.

so the total capacity will not be doubled. It is just 720 only

Regards

Mahesh

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add to Mahesh's post.

If you want greater throughput than 720Gbps you can can use VSS. With VSS a pair of 6500's becomes logical switch and will scale to 1.4Tb.

Jon

Hi John,

Now as for the The Supervisor 6 -E on 4500 Series i fouund this below explanation from cisco data base can you confirm that what will be the actuila switching capacity that i will recieve when i use 2 SUp 6-E in redudant mode on 4500 E sereis switch? Attached Q & A doc FYR.

Question :- How is the 320 Gbps Switching Capacity Calculated?

A.    Reply:-   The Supervisor 6 -E which has dual full line rate 10GbE Uplinks also supports five 24 Gbps ESeries Line cards; 3 Classis 6 Gbps Line cards and also has a 2 Gbps CPU connection for increased Control Plane performance. The sum equals 160 Gbps with the full duplex switching capacity equal to 320 Gbps.

Awaiting your reply,

Thx,

Muzammil N.

hi Muzammil ,

4500 switch with sup6-e support classic as well as e-series line card.

But for classic line card it will deliver only 6-gbps performance per slot. To take full advantage of 6-e you need to have e-series line card with 24 performance per slot.

now if you have switch with 10 cards then

2-slot will be used for sup. 20
5-slot with 24gbps performance=120
3-slot with 6gbps performance=18

total =158gbps +2 gbps cpu connetion. =160 and doubled performance if you consider full-duplex
operation.

so even if you have 2 sup in redundant mode you will have total of 320gbps capacity.

Regards

Mahesh

With VSS a pair of 6500's becomes logical switch and will scale to 1.4Tb.

You'll have to run SXI4 (and later) to operate dual supervisor engine.

I am not sure what hardware (chassis) requirements is the soon-to-be-released Sup2T (short for 2Tb).  Initial documentation states it to be the 6513E but I don't know if the 2T will go down to the smaller chassis or not.

leolaohoo wrote:

With VSS a pair of 6500's becomes logical switch and will scale to 1.4Tb.

You'll have to run SXI4 (and later) to operate dual supervisor engine.

I am not sure what hardware (chassis) requirements is the soon-to-be-released Sup2T (short for 2Tb).  Initial documentation states it to be the 6513E but I don't know if the 2T will go down to the smaller chassis or not.

Leo

That's twice (2 separate posts you have referred to this new Sup) so i'm intruiged now Always interested in any new 6500 developments, can you provide a few more details if you have them ie. does it have a switch fabric, what is it replacing if anything etc..

Jon

That's twice (2 separate posts you have referred to this new Sup) so i'm intruiged now  Always interested in any new 6500 developments, can you provide a few more details if you have them ie. does it have a switch fabric, what is it replacing if anything etc..

Dang!  My number's up!

Hiya Jon,

Didn't realize you were still wide-eyed awake!  He he he ...

Don't know if this was Q&A was released intentionally or by sheer mistake but we are eagerly anticipating (my guess is before mid-2011) the Sup2T's debut appearance.

Q&A:  Cisco Catalyst 6513-E Switch Chassis

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67-621410.html

Q. Will you get 80 Gbps per slot with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720?
A. No. The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis with the future Sup2T will support 80 Gbps per slot on all 13 slots. The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E with Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 will have the same bandwidth caveats that exist on the current non-E 6513 chassis. With a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720, the fabric channel connections for the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E and 6513 (non-E) are distributed the same: that is, slots 1 through 8 are single channel with 20 Gbps capacity, and slots 9 through 13 are dual channel, providing 40 Gbps/slot. So with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720, a Cisco Catalyst 6513-E will only support the 67xx line cards in slots 9 through 13.

Hi Leo

The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis with the future Sup2T will support 80 Gbps per slot on all 13 slots.

Okay, that might be useful   I thought that Cisco were concentrating on the Nexus for the increased bandwidth but as you say it's going to be interesting to see if this sup will also support 80Gbps per slot on other E chassis's especially the 6509. Can't imagine they would develop a whole new sup just for the 6513-E.

Guess the answer to my first question was that it definitely does have a switching fabric !!

Jon

Okay, that might be useful

You don't sound excited????

it's going to be interesting to see if this sup will also support 80Gbps per slot on other E chassis's especially the 6509. 

It will be "interesting" for us too.  We are in the midst of preparing a shopping list and we don't want to wind up buying, for example, Sup720 and a week later the 2T comes out.  I've just sent an email to the SE (6500 expert) here in Canberra to make sure I won't be squeezed.

Can't imagine they would develop a whole new sup just for the 6513-E.

Must be an echo here because you're not the only one who said this aloud.

Apologize for not giving you more information (but if I hear more, I'll let y'all know).

Thanks for the rating.

Okay, that might be useful

You don't sound excited????

Well it's is quite late over here and we Brits are fairly understated at the best of times

Hey Jon,

I've invited Cisco to come over on 27 October to talk about the new Sup2T.  Will let you know about the result.

Hey Jon,

PM sent.

Always interested in any new 6500 developments, can you provide a few more details if you have them

These are all guess work:

1.  It will most likely have a new multi-core CPU;

2.  Universal IOS (g'bye gentleman's-agreement);

3.  (external) CF support up to 2Gb (documented) or 8Gb (undocumented);

4.  DRAM support up to 4 Gb;

NOTE:

As an added bonus, if you leave:

1 spare slot free = you can toast your bread;

2 spare slot free = heat your food; and

3 spare slot free = keep a mug of hot drink warm

(I'm just joking about the "note" bit!)

Any information on OTV Support or real ISSU support (like NXOS) on Sup2T with 6700 line cards?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card