cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many AP's will a 3850 stack support?

romeyrome
Level 4
Level 4

I'm using a stack of (4) 3850's and would like to validate how many AP's I can connect.  I'm reading in Cisco Live presentations that a 3850 stack will only support 50 AP's.  I'm wondering if this limitation only applies to converged access or if it applies to conventional L2 switching.  

I believe the 50 AP limitation has more to do with how many AP's you could physically place in a 100M radius without major co-channel interference and overlapping RF .

If I am not running a converged access WLC on this 3850 stack can I connect more than 50 AP's?

Thanks much!

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The limit is 50 per stack.

see link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/sales-tool-c96-730473.pdf

HTH

Thanks for your reply but the row in the linked PDF specifically says 50 AP's for converged access. I'm trying to determine the limitation when converged access is NOT used.

Converged access means when you use a switch for both wired and wireless and the switch is the wireless controller.  If you are not going to use the switch as a controller, that means you would have to buy a separate controller and in that case the limitation is how many APs that controller would support.  So the switch is only used for wired network.

HTH

jhager001
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a vendor tell me that Cisco only recommends using 25 AP's per converged switch/stack due to roaming issues. I can't find anything that will verify this statement.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card