Views
Helpful
Replies

how many maximum line card can be insert in cisco 4500 series switch

raut.pawan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have requirments where user wants 48*5 ports for user.

my Qusetion is how many maximum line card can be insert in cisco 4500 series switch.

Thank-you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would suggest a 4506 or 4507.

These chassis have 6 or 7 slots respectively.

With 4506, one slot will be used for SUP and you will have 5 slots spare.

With 4507 you can have redundant SUPs (I.e. 2 of them just in case one fails) and still have 5 slots spare.

Then your 48 port line cards can slot in.

Ensure that your line card is supported with the SUP and the OS too

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can insert one line card per slot until there's no more slot left.

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would suggest a 4506 or 4507.

These chassis have 6 or 7 slots respectively.

With 4506, one slot will be used for SUP and you will have 5 slots spare.

With 4507 you can have redundant SUPs (I.e. 2 of them just in case one fails) and still have 5 slots spare.

Then your 48 port line cards can slot in.

Ensure that your line card is supported with the SUP and the OS too

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

I think the 4510 is available, so the maximum for this chassis model is 10 slots.

Thanks Bilal,

Have a nice day

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As already noted, a 4506 or 4507 provides 5 line cards slots, other slots are reserved for supervisors.  The 4510 provides 8 line card slots.

PS:

BTW, there are now different chassis, supervisors and line cards for the 4500 series, which support 6, 24 or 48 Gbps per line card.  I.e. you need to insure they are all compatible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card