cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many Priority Queues the Cisco 2960WS-C2960-24TT-L switch has?

vulatec89
Level 1
Level 1

How many Priority Queues the Cisco 2960WS-C2960-24TT-L switch has?

Some body know about this, in the datasheet I did'nt find something about it.

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One priority queue but needs to be enabled with the priority-queue out command.

Thanks for your answer, do you know about some switch which has 4 priority queues?

Sorry, we don't have any. Why do you need 4 priority queues?

Is just a client requirement.

I don’t know how QoS works exactly, for that reason I don’t know how many priority queues a switch needs to work in an acceptable way.

QoS implementation on switches such as 2960s is different than regular IOS routers.

QoS on switches is done in hardware and you can map multiple DSCP/COS values to a priority queue.

If your intent was to have multiple applications sharing the priority queue, you can do so.

If you want to read more about QoS, I suggest taking a read to this article:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoS-SRND-Book.html

Regards,

Edison

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Normally, you would only need one PQ and that's all that's provided by the 2960 and many other switches.  The reason only one PQ is provided, it provides absolute priority over all other queues so it you had more than one, how would they have priority over each other?

On Cisco devices that support CBWFQ, you can have multiple priority classes but they all share the same LLQ (same idea as a switch's PQ).

Also on many Cisco routers, they support an older form of queuing, priority queuing.  In this scheme there's 4 queues each having absolute priority over lower ranked queues; high > medium > normal > low.  This could be what your client has in mind, but using this scheme it's very easy to ruin the performance of much of your data traffic.

What your client probably really requires is a switch with at least 4 queues (earlier switches either had just 1 or 2, some bigger switches offer 8).  Of these, probably one should be PQ capable (normally used for real-time apps, e.g. VoIP).

4 queues, one PQ capable, are offen sufficient for many QoS needs.  The non-PQ queues can be adjusted to a proportion of bandwidth.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card