cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How much only one SNMP poll(not several polls per min) consumes(data needs to be transferred) from a Cisco Switch Interface?

George-Sl
Level 1
Level 1

How much only one SNMP poll(not several polls per min) consumes(data needs to be transferred) from a Cisco Switch Interface? I am talking about that interface itself snmp not the whole switch(data like input and output rate of that interface itself)

for only one 10gig interface(not all) I set an interval of 1 sec to monitor the load on this interface, I wanted to know how much extra load this SNMP polling can put the interface...

Thanks

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it will not put much load on the interface - since it is 10G, it will add more process consumption. monitor CPU before monitoring interface every 3 seconds and compare.

before  and after,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

9500 processor won't be even bothered by something like this, so I will decrease to 1 second, I really need a live data out of this specific interface for a day or two..

I just wanna be certain that the traffic that I am monitoring is not showing wrong statistics based on the utilization I am putting on the interface because of snmp, in total is it gonna be more than 2Mbits/s?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Here's an informative document :

https://www.sollievoit.com/much-bandwidth-snmp-monitoring-consume/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

"6672 bits during the span of one minute"

Thanks

I have gone over this link before I post the question,

He hasn't put the interval, you can make intervals from milliseconds(not in prtg) to 59 seconds!

How many bits per poll? I couldn't interpret...

The Interval depends on the application. For example; SolarWinds Network Performance Monitoring (NPM)  system polls every 120 seconds (2 min). You can change that but it is usually not recommended as it can overwhelm the database.

HTH

I guess you missed my point

and I am using PRTG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: