cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How multiply Server NIC POrts

samy shyaka
Level 1
Level 1

I have two servers with 1Gbps and 10 Gbps NIC ports each. I want to connect the servers to multiple switches which will be acting in the failover functionality. I can't use the 10Gbps ports for my network will only have 20Mbps so I will have to use the 1Gbps ports. How will I be able to connect the servers to the switches with such limited ports? Is there a way I could get NIC port adapter with more ports? is there any other solution?

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Samy,

if you have multiple 1Gbps NIC ports on the server you can use NIC teaming.

In server administration terms NIC teaming is siimilar to LACP bundle in switches world.

If your access switches are joined in a stack you can use an LACP bundle and use both NICs at the same time.

If the access switches are not grouped in a logical single unit (stack or vrtual switch) you can use a NIC teaming mode with an active / standby strategy use of the two NIC ports. In this case the server active NIC sends a multicast message that acts as hearbeat and the the standby NIC listens to it. If the standby NIC does not see the hearbeat it becomes the new active NIC.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you Giuseppe for trying to help, but my problem is that I only have two 1Gbps ports and need to connect them to the switches.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card