Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change ports to access??

francisco_ayala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I´m a new on this forum and I have a question about routers configuration, I hope you can help me...

My question is how can I change the telnet port and ssh port for a different ones?? for example I´d like to change de default telnet port (23) for a 3333 it is possible??

Thanks in advance for your commnets!!

regards..

10 Replies 10

tobyarnett
Level 1
Level 1

This is possible to do. You can use a rotary group command to implement this at the vty port level. Presuming you have your ssh key created and vty port preconfigured for ssh access you would then implement the following commands:

Adjust the expected ssh listening port and assign that to a rotary group:
Router(config)#ip ssh port 3333 rotary 1

Apply the rotary group to your vty interface
Router(config)#line vty 0 4
Router(config-line)#rotary 1

Your router will now listen for ssh on port 3333 on these 5 vty ports.

Hope this helps, please rate if it does.

Thank you,
Toby

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

-Toby

Please don't forget to rate any helpful post.

Hi Toby!!

Thanks for the information but I have a doubt, I made the configuration on my equipment but when I typed the next line after had configured the ssh key and vty port:

Router(config-line)#rotary 1

the equipment displayed me the next words: X121 address and queued type can not be configured on the same rotary group 1

can you help me with this issue??

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards

Francisco.

Hi Francisco,

I think it 's something with the IOS Image. Could you please post a #show version output ?

Similar to SSH , If you would like to change Telnet port

Rotary command allows to open connection .The router listens for telnet connections on an additional TCP port when the command is entered. Opens connections on 3000+Rotary number so if you enter the command rotary 1 , the router will be listening to 3001.

But still the router will be listening to port 23. You need to restrict access to port 23 on vty lines

Using extended access lists and using access class this can be done

So the configuration would be something like ,

R1(config)#access-list 101 permit tcp any any eq 3001

R1(config)#line vty 0 15

R1(config-line)#rotary 1

R1(config-line)#access-class 101 in

Regards,
Anup

Don't forget to rate if you found this helpful !

Regards,
Anup

Hi Anup!!

Thanks for your information, of course here is the IOS image:

Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(4)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 22-May-06 20:10 by kellythw

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI3, RELEASE SOFTWARE

I would like to ask you something, when I type the rotary on line vty the message follow appearing, I was searching information about this and I found that my equipment cisco 800 does not support the rotary on vty line for that appears the message "X121 address and queued type can not be configured on the same rotary group 1" it is correct?? for that reason display this?? so, how can I configure the change of ports without the rotary line?? is there a way to do this??

Regards

Francisco.

Hi Francisco,

I did a brief search around about the issue of  "X121 address and queued type can not be configured on the same rotary group 1" error and as you pointed out , I too think the Advanced IP Services image of IOS Image you have does not support assigning Rotary commands on VTY lines. ( Do refer this discussion : https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/169683  where they experience a similar issue with Cisco 851 ! ) I am really sorry that I 'm not technically competant enough to answer as to why we get the error but I will sure check and see if I can find the exact reason for it.

But as Tony said, any code above 12.2(2)T should be supporting it. I stumbled upon this discussion  ( https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/234357) also where they didn't really use rotary on VTY line but still was successfully able to change default SSH port on a Cisco 800 Series router. Could you please try changing to new model of AAA as mentioned in the discussion and let know the results ?

Regards,
Anup

Don't forget to rate if you found this helpful !

Regards,
Anup

tobyarnett
Level 1
Level 1

Anup is correct when using the rotary group by itself. To specify the specific port you use the `ip ssh port rotary ` command. Then applying that rotary group to the vty port. You need to be using at minimum the 12.2(2)T code. If you want just telnetthenselect a rotary group as Anup stated.

-Toby

tobyarnett
Level 1
Level 1

Francisco,

Did you still need help on this issue? Please let us know if you do. If not could you please close the question as answered and rate any helpful posts?

Thank you,
Toby

-Toby

Hi Anup and Toby!!

I apologize for answer late.

Thanks for your help and information, I follow having the issue I tried to make the next configuration on my equipment cheking the link that Anup posted here but I dont know how the AAA works yet:

Router(config)# ip ssh port 3333 rotary 2

Router(config)# access-list 101 permit tcp any any eq 3333

Router(config)# line vty 0 4

Router(config-line)# access-class 101 in

Router(config)#aaa new-model

Router(config)#aaa authentication login default local

I followed the config like the link says (https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/234357) just changed the port and the group rotary, but the solution also says after use AAA (follow with a command specifying where the password(s) will be checked) that part I didnt understand very well

is something wrong on my config?? or I have to type another command else??

can you give me your suggest please!!

Best Regards

Francisco.

Hello,

I know this post is very old, but it looks like part of the issue is that Francisco is missing the 'rotary 2' command on the line configuration.

If somebody could please confirm, that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Network Engineer

tobyarnett
Level 1
Level 1

You don't need to use AAA there. Remove that AAA configuration on your vty interface and just enter your standard vty login info.

-Toby

-Toby