cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure a switch to support PXE esp. when switch is providing DHCP service and L3 routing for multiple VLANs

Sunil Gajjar
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to configure a switch to support PXE, it works straight by adding ip-helper statements in normal scenario when DHCP service is running on box other than the switch having SVIs configured. However in a special case, I am trying to configure a switch which has multiple SVIs for respective VLANs and it is also hosting DHCP service so I believe ip-helper statement is ignored as it has a DHCP scope that is valid to service the request.

It is a critical office with hundreds of users and moving DHCP is not a preffered option so it would be a great help if someone can guide with required configuration on the switch to support PXE in this case.

Thanks already!

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not have a lot of experience with PXE, but I will offer these suggestions and hope that they help.

- having DHCP configured on the switch does not mean that the ip helper-address is ignored. The helper address will still forward the broadcast request as a unicast to the configured helper address. So the PXE server should still get a copy of the request.

- I believe that the PXE request is a slightly modified DHCP request. So it is possible that the switch DHCP will not respond to the request. And the worst case scenario is that the PXE client receives two responses, one from the switch and the other from the PXE server. So the client would need to choose the correct offer.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card