Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure QOS for Inbound Traffic on Cisco router

netadmindha
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

Could you please help me out to configure the QOS on Inbound Traffic on a Cisco Router.

Please go through the below commands and  suggest if any changes required.

### To match the traffic
ip access-list extended ACL_2Mbps
permit ip 192.168.1.75/32 10.135.101.0/24

!
### Class the traffic
class-map Link_2Mbps
match access-group ACL_2Mbps

!
### Apply policy against the class (type of traffic specified by your class-map)
policy-map Policy_3Mbps
class Link_3Mbps
police 3000000 1000000 exceed-action drop (1000000 is the burst rate)
!

interface gigabitethernet1/x
### Applies the policies inbound and outbound, both directions
service-policy input Policy_2Mbps

Regards,

Akber Mirza.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It would help if you would first describe your logical QoS objective.

Your subject post asks about inbound QoS, but your posting has a comment about policing both directions?

Your ACL and class map reference 2 Mbps, but your policy map and its class and its police statement reference 3 Mbps?

Dear Doherty,

Thanks for your reply!

Objective : I want to dedicated 4Mbps bandwidth out of 8 Mbps on the ACL100 for the inbound traffic for these servers.

192.168.1.75---HQ-WAN ---MPLS cloud --8 Mbps --BR WAN--- 10.135.101.0

10.1.222.221---HQ-WAN ---MPLS cloud --8 Mbps --BR WAN--- 10.135.101.0

I want to apply Inbound QOS  traffic on BR wan router such that traffic coming from 192.168.1.75 /10.1.222.221 should not face any slowness issue. we have VOIP as well from BR to HQ location which will be mainly ( I guess ) outbound ....and do i need to give some priority to voip for inbound voice traffic? .  I guess the rest  3.5 mbps is sufficient for overall applications including voip.

Please suggest

No outbound QOS required as i do not have bandwidth issues with outbound traffic.

Here is my updated query :

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

access-lists 100

10 permit ip host 192.168.1.75 10.135.101.0 0.0.0.255
    20 permit ip host 10.1.222.221 10.135.101.0 0.0.0.255
    30 deny ip any any

!

Class Map match-all Sheryan1
   Match access-group  100

!

Policy Map Sheryan1-policy
    Class Sheryan1
     police cir 4000000 bc 62500
       conform-action transmit
       exceed-action drop

!

int gi 0/0

service-policy input Sheryan-policy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please let me know if i need to add a class map for VOIP inbound traffic  and suggest me if any changes required?

Regards,

Akber Mirza.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Generally, it's very difficult to have "good" inbound QoS, especially when supporting something like VoIP.  Ideally you want outbound QoS.

Since you describe a MPLS cloud, it may be possible to have outbound QoS.  However, MPLS often supports multipoint, and if any of your traffic is other than hub and spoke, you'll want MPLS to support QoS too.

If I understand your topology, normally you would set QoS at HQ egress to shape for each branch's maximum bandwidth, and prioritize within the shaped traffic.  On the branch side, normally you would just prioritize traffic at egress to the MPLS cloud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card