Views
Helpful
Replies

how to configure routing on asa 5505

zolpo1999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am totaly newbie to cisco routing, but i have some basic knowledge about routing

how do i configure the new asa 5505 to be as a router as shown in the diagram

note: the isps' routers placed in head office. but i cannot change the configurations of the isp's routers.

thankszolpo.jpg

9 Replies 9

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Look at the following link will help you.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/route_ospf.html#wp1104550

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

please correct me if i am wrong,

as much as i know, since i have no access to other routers i cannot deploy here ospf (these router are very dumb)

can it be done with static routing? if yes, how?

Hi,

which licence have you got ? and which OS version on your ASA ?

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

i bought it two weeks ago. new.

it is ASA5505-50-BUN-K9

os ver 8.2

zolpo1999
Level 1
Level 1

i will appreciate any help here...

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

pp rr wrote:

Hi

I am totaly newbie to cisco routing, but i have some basic knowledge about routing

how do i configure the new asa 5505 to be as a router as shown in the diagram

note: the isps' routers placed in head office. but i cannot change the configurations of the isp's routers.

thanks

Damn, I hate web browsers. Mine crashed with a reply already half written - oh well, here we go again.

First thing I'd look at is changing your IP addressing scheme if possible. You have 192.168.1.0/24 inside your firewall, and 192.168.1.250 as the remoter router IP at branch #2 - this will be pretty difficult to route via your ASA as the IP adderss ranges overlap inside and outside, and the ASA won't like it. Also, I'd use a smaller subnet on the link to branch #1 - you're using an IP address in a range of 65536, which makes it a bit awkward to route - I usually use a /30 on point to point links (or a /29 if HSRP or redundancy is required).

Do you have separate links to site #1 and site #2, or are they VPN's out the DSL service? Your drawing looks like you have separate links, but it's difficult to be sure.

If you have separate links, and assuming one link is conencted to each port, routing is pretty simple - just add statements similar to the following to your configuration

route site2 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.20.2

The format is

route

My example assumes you have a nameif of "site2" on the interface connected to the link to site 2, configured with an IP address of 192.168.20.1/30 and that you change the link IP address of the router at the other end to 192.168.20.2/30.

You'll also have to make sure the router at site 2 has a route (either a default or subnet-specific) route back to the asa - something like

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.20.1

if it's a Cisco IOS router.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

(Please rate helpful posts.)

Whups, I just re-read your original and saw the bit about not being able to change the configuration of the ISP routers.

Which means you're going to need to change the inside configurations (in your head office) so you don't get an overlapping IP range.

Still need to know how you connect to those remote sites, though. Are they dedicated links? And are the IP addresses you quote at your head office end, or the remote end?

Extrapolating a bit, I'd go for a config something like this.

On the ASA

Interface f0/0 - nameif inside, IP address 192.168.0.254/24

Interface f0/1 - nameif site1, IP address 172.50.1.249

Interface f0/2, nameif site2, IP address 192.168.1.249

Interface f0/3, nameif outside, IP adress whatever works with your Internet router.

Then just do this for your routing table

route site1 172.50.0.0 255.255.0.0 172.50.1.250

route site2 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.250

route site2 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.250

route site2 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.250

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

You'll need to do NAT for Internet access, and NAT exemptions for connecting to your remote sites, but that's your basic layout on what you've drawn - with one minor change, which is your 'inside' IP range.

Hope that's clearer - sorry for my bad in not reading your original post properly.

Cheers.

dear darren.g

thank you so much for the detailed explantion!

1. connections to branches go trough seperate dedicated lines. (different routers, isp's etc.)

2. the routers (192.168.1.250 & 172.50.1.250) are inside the head office connected to the same switch as the work stations

I still missing the NAT configuration but i will leave it right now because i will not be able to configue the asa till next thursday....

so please wait and I will updated you next week

many many thanks

pp rr wrote:

dear darren.g

thank you so much for the detailed explantion!

1. connections to branches go trough seperate dedicated lines. (different routers, isp's etc.)

2. the routers (192.168.1.250 & 172.50.1.250) are inside the head office connected to the same switch as the work stations

I still missing the NAT configuration but i will leave it right now because i will not be able to configue the asa till next thursday....

so please wait and I will updated you next week

many many thanks

I can see one immediate problem with your setup - if you have the site routers connected to the same switch as your workstations - is it just a layer 2 switch, or does it have some layer 3 capabilities?

If it's a layer two switch, you need both links in different VLAN's - and then you have nothing to route between them, so the sites won't be able to talk to one another (well, head office will be able to talk to site 2 since the link IP is in the same subnet - but you'll still need to have some additional routing on your workstations for this to work, since your default route would want to be your firewall).

You'd be better putting yout "site" links on physical ports on the ASA rather than your "inside' switch, and changing the "inside' IP address range - unless you want to get into trunking into your ASA and using it to do the routing between the 192.168.1.0/24 and 172.50.0.0/16 networks. Which you could do, but it'd make security a bit tricky.

Looking at what you've got, the scenario I described above would be the way I would do it - but there are no doubt other ways, and YMMV when it comes to configuring the ASA - I don't really know your level of experience - if it's low, I can suggest only one thing - make SURE you enable ASDM - doing this kind of configuration is *way* easier via the GUI than it is via the OS's still unbelievable obscure command line syntax. :-)

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card