cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to control one interface by the status of another?

tiwang
Level 3
Level 3

Hi out there

I need to shut an incoming interface on an ASR if a "inside" trunk shuts - how can I do this? Is there a possibility trough ios.sh or how can I do this? We have a huge bunch of vpn routers I have to failover to another router if a link below this edge router fails and the simplest way I can see is to disable this incoming interface then which will cause them to failover to the backup - but how can I do this?

Any ideas are welcome...

best regards /ti

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but may be route tacking can help you.

See this link with config examples:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/dial/configuration/guide/dia_rel_stc_rtg_bckup_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

HTH

Hi Reza - It is not exact my problem which is addresses here even the object tracking sounds like. I need to force incoming vpn's to another peer because the edge router is alive but the next device in the chain is gone. Hereby will they be able to connect to my edge and hereby get stucked. I need to redirect them before they connect and the easiest way would be to shut the interface - is this possibly ?

best regards /ti

Hi Ti,

Can you provide diagram of your topology?

As long as the redundant routes are advertised and the config is correct, if you shut the primary interface, it should fail over to the redundant device.  It there a way for you to test this in the lab before doing it in production?

HTH

Hi Reza - here is a simplified diagram which I think shows my problem very well - if the switch below my edge routers fails the sessions for ipsec vpn will keep connect to the edge router but no connection deeper into the system. These a plain old cryptomap ipsec with an alternate peer. If I had a L2 between the the 2 edge routers I could solve this by HSRP begween the two L3 switches but this would I prefer to avoid.

Is there a way to automatically shut the wan interface on these edge routers if the innerside trunk fails -> eg - if G0/0/1 fails shut G0/0/0 ?

I can see that thorugh cisco's ios.sh there are some possibilities to query a interface but can I also control it? Or other ideas?

best regards /ti

no suggestions?

best regards /ti

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card