Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to disable NAT mode on Cisco ASA 9.2 via ASDM 7.2

Dear all,

I'm using ASDM 7.2 to configure ASA 9.2, Now, ASA is running on NAT mode and I don't want to ASA acts as NAT device. But i can not found option "Enable traffic through the firewall without translation" on ASDM. Please guide to help me out this issue.

Best appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No more changes needed for nameif or security-levels. Just remove all nat rules and the ASA won't do any translation.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

The option you are looking for is default in recent ASA releases. Now the ASA behaves more like a router when it comes to NAT:

• If you have a translation rule matching your traffic, the traffic will be translated.
  • If there is no rule matching your traffic, no NAT will be performed on the packet.

hi karsten,

i recently did a lab on this and thought the connection would 'break.'

but to my surprise the 'newer' image now behaves/routes like a router.

do you have or know a link to support this?  my google search is failing me.

I'm not aware of a source where it's clearly stated, but you can read it "between the lines" in the config-guide or the 8.3 Migration Guide.

The concept of "NAT Control" was removed from the ASA in version 8.3.  See this link.

As Karsten stated, in 8.3 and later you don't have to have a NAT.  If you do create a NAT and you need to exempt traffic, then you need to create NAT exemptions.

In current versions you do need to pay attention to NAT ordering.  If you have a generic PAT configuration (or PAT pool) that covers a range of hosts, then your NAT exemption will only work if it comes before the generic rule.

PSC

hi,

thanks! i almost forgot the concept of 'nat control.' +5

guess my mind was stuck  from the concepts in 8.2 when it comes to routing on ASA.

Hi Karrsten,

You mean i need clear all nat rule, after that ASA will not translate the traffic and work as a router?

Should i change name if, security lever priority of inside and outside interface?

At present, my security levers and name if on my asa as below:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
nameif outside
security-level 0
ip address 10.13.1.254 255.255.255.0 standby 10.13.1.253
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
nameif inside
security-level 100
ip address 10.15.1.1 255.255.255.0 standby 10.15.1.253

No more changes needed for nameif or security-levels. Just remove all nat rules and the ASA won't do any translation.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card