Views
Helpful
Replies

How to disable the password Recovery for the Cisco Router 2800

ahmedbishry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need your help to disable the password Recovery for the Cisco Router 2851, in case of the hardware stolen or hacking by internal hacker,

Thanks in advanced for your help,

Ahmed

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I need your help to disable the password Recovery for the Cisco Router 2851, in case of the hardware stolen or hacking by internal hacker,
Thanks in advanced for your help,

I don't see how this is going to work, i.  e.  stopping hackers from breaking into your router if password recovery is disabled.

Even if password recover is enabled you can still get into it and see your config.  The safest bet is to encrypt your password and keep your router secure from un-authorized access (both physical and remote).

Look, if you really want to go down this path then the hidden command is "no service password-recovery".

Best advice is not to disable password recovery.. because for some reason you change and forget the password.. then its all game over, you will never be able recover it.

safest way.. as others pointed.. use encrypted password.

--

Sebastian

because for some reason you change and forget the password.. then its all game over, you will never be able recover it.

Hi Sebastian,

I disagree because I've been there and done that.  I was able to recover the appliance (with the config intact). 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card