Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find if CISCO router use PPPoE or PPPoA

chamaraw07
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Im having difficulty understanding when to use PPPoE and PPPoA and how it applies to the physical interfaces,

for example,  i have a cisco 800 series router which has a RJ11 connector

and in the running config , the RJ11 interface is refereed to as ATM0 ,

as per my understanding, if i configure a dialer interface then it has to be attached to ATM0 interface which will use PPPoA (please correct me if im wrong)

on the other hand , my ADSL router (D-LINK) has a RJ11 port as well and in it's config it show only PPPoE ,

so im confused how to determine if a device use PPPoE or PPPoA ? does it depend on the physical interface/port eg - RJ11 or RJ45 Ethernet ?

really appreciate any help , thanks

3 Replies 3

It really depends on the implementation from the ISP, and the way they implement the PPP protocol. please see this link for an expamnation

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/internet/difference-between-pppoe-and-pppoa/

Because within the ISP network they run  Ethernet most probably easier to encapsulate Ethernet packets within PPP.

below is a Cisco example using ADSL  and PPPoE which is th emost common type of configuration.

interface ATM0
 bandwidth 15000
 no ip address
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 hold-queue 224 in
!
interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
 pvc 8/35
  pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

Thanks Richard

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

Typically when talking about broadband internet for the home market you have DSL and Cable providers.  Most DSL providers use PPPoA and Cable providers use PPPoE.   If ypou have one of these type of providers ( I have both)  you do not have to do anything in regards to configuration.  Just by yourself any one of the home based routers (Linksys, D-Link, NetGear, etc) they are all plug and play.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card