Views
Helpful
Replies

how to find the version of HSRP being used on a 9300 switch

ribuck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a pair of cisco 9300 which were setup by a 3rd party and i need to create a new Vlan and want to create a new HSRP stanby IP, but to create the stanby IP i need to set the HSRP version when configuring the vlan, but i dont know if it's version 1 or 2

I looked at the running config of the switch and reviewed the configurations of the existing vlans with HSRP standby IP, but i couldn't determine if it's version 1 or 2.

how do i determine which version of HSRP is currently being used on the existing vlans with standby IP's ?

I am using Version 16.9.01 and have Network-Advantage license

Cheers,

Richard. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

you can tell by the the vip mac addreesses assigned to the hsrp group

Sh standby
0000.0c07.acXX (v1 default)
0000.0c9f.f0XX  (v2 default)

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello

you can tell by the the vip mac addreesses assigned to the hsrp group

Sh standby
0000.0c07.acXX (v1 default)
0000.0c9f.f0XX  (v2 default)

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the quick reply - I was going to raise a proper support ticket, but not sure if they cover general configuration enquiries.  So looking at the output of the Sh Standby i can see there appears to be associated HSRP group names associated with the HSRP group numbers.

but in cisco's documentation it only mentions the HSRP group number and not the group name.  How do you assign a HSRP Group name ?

SUMMARY STEPS

1. configure terminal
  2. interface interface-id
  3. standby version { 1 | 2 }
  4. standby [ group-number] ip [ ip-address [ secondary]]
  5. end
  6. show standby [ interface-id [ group]]
  7. copy running-config startup-config

Hello

@ribuck wrote:

but in cisco's documentation it only mentions the HSRP group number and not the group name.  How do you assign a HSRP Group name

standby <group number> name <name>

int x/x < hsrp ver1)

standby 50 name stan

int y/y < hsrp ver2)
stanby ver 2
standby 100 name fred

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card