cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get access to a server through a router

ace2020boyd
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a student(High School) in the cisco class. I'm in the process of trying to run a Game server(Counter-Strike) through a router and have another computer on the other side to jump in it. I'm using a Cisco 800 series router:

Router running config is:

untitled.JPG

10 Replies 10

Thompso7540_2
Level 1
Level 1

are you able to ping from teh computer to your server through the router?

Also your nat isn't applied - you need to use the below commands on the interfaces

ip nat inside

ip nat outside

Yes i am able to ping the computer. ill try adding ip nat outside

Thanks

I might not be doing this right but here is my network mapped out. PC1 is the server but i added ip inside nat and ip outside nat to the interfaces and its still not working.

no NAT is required. You need to make sure that the default gateway of the PC1 points to 192.168.1.1 and PC2 points to 192.168.100.1. If they are Windows machines, please use ipconfig to check. Make sure the subnet mask is correct.

You may need to set up a static route or routing protocol if you want the PCs access devices on other network. A good place to start is to tell us the current default gateway for the PCs.

PC1(game server) default Gateway is 192.168.1.1

Subnetmask is 255.255.255.0

PC2 default Gateway is 192.168.100.1

Subnetmask is 255.255.255.0

Find out if the game company if the game use mulitcast or unicast. I am guessing that the game use multicast or broadcast.

If possible, find out the UDP port use by the game if it is use by broadcast.

If it is multicast, we need to enable PIM.

Well im getting blocked at school when looking at

steampowered.com but if i remember correctly it does use broadcast but is it possible that it can use both?

UDP is 1200,2700-27015

TCP is 27020-27039

This also may be helpful but when i had the two pc's hooked up to a switch i had wireshark running and alot of the UDP packets were being sent through.

If you use TCP, it has to be unicast. For UDP, it can be broadcast, unicast, or multicast.

If it is broadcast, you need the following global commands

ip forward-protocol udp 1200

ip forward-protocol udp 2700

ip forward-protocol udp 2701

... etc one command per port

Under the interface, you need command "ip direct-broadcast"

Tell me if i have this right

remove the nat statements and configure "ip direct broadcast" under ethernet 0 as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card