Helpful
Replies

How to know which specific IOS Image (.bin) file has been uploaded to the Flash

CarloSalvador
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco People,

Would like to ask for your help.

How would I know which specific IOS Image (.bin) file has been uploaded to the Flash prior to the upgrade using INSTALL MODE? Currently the .bin file is no longer present in the Flash and only the .pkg files were left.

I wish to cross-check it with the Cisco Software page via the md5 information included in the firmware image download.

Thank you!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Naresh Murali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello  CarloSalvador,

Try to use the below command to see what image running on the package.conf.

# More flash:package.conf

Hope this helps.

Regards

Naresh M

View solution in original post

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The only difference between the switches you have listed in the license type Essential vs Advantage. The 9500 also uses a universal image, so although the different models have separate download sections, they both provide exactly the same image. The additional Advantage functions are derived from the license not the image.

cheers,

Seb.

the package.conf has hash which should match - check

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

13 Replies 13

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

show version give you what image installed and working. install mode always show .pkg file only

here normal upgrade guide : (just for reference 3850)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html

BB

Hi @balaji.bandi , this one only shows the packages.conf. Not the .bin file it self.

System image file is "flash:packages.conf"

My struggle is I wanted to verify what MD5 is being used on the current version.

the package.conf has hash which should match - check

BB

Naresh Murali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello  CarloSalvador,

Try to use the below command to see what image running on the package.conf.

# More flash:package.conf

Hope this helps.

Regards

Naresh M

Hi @Naresh Murali ,

Thank you for this. It also does not show which .bin file and MD5 is being in used.

Hi Carlo,

In the output you will not have the .bin file. Hence we can know about what version installed in the current package.conf. 

With respect to MD5 in case if the MD5 is not same as the .bin file then it would have not installed the package.conf in the first place and booted up. So if it booted up properly we can say that MD5 is proper. MD5 verification can be done with respect to .bin and not package.conf. It is installed from .bin for reducing the size ( Install mode ).

Regards

Naresh Murali 

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Whether the platform is running in BUNDLE or INSTALL mode both images will come from the same .bin file, one being run in a monolithic style and the latter being unpacked and 'installed'. Therefore for any image in INSTALL mode it can have only come from one .bin file. However you are asking for an MD5 hash to be calculated on the switch for a file which is no longer present, this is not possible. 

If you want verify the installation then you should copy the .bin file to the switch compare its MD5 hash against the cisco site and then proceed with the install if the two match.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi @Seb Rupik ,

Thank you for your response.

I don't know which .bin file was used previously. Example if I uploaded a .bin file that is dedicated to C9500-16X-E Switch model, but my Switch model is C9500-16X-A Switch, that would give me a different md5 value. How would I know if that .bin I will upload is really the one that was previously used?

Thank you,

Hi Carlo,

The checksum will be generated for all files in flash, however to verify if it is the correct one, it can only be matched with checksum of .bin file and the one available on cisco.com.

NOTE:- Checksum of packages.conf is not going to match with the one on cisco.com as it would be for .bin image.

Regards

Inayath

HTH

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The only difference between the switches you have listed in the license type Essential vs Advantage. The 9500 also uses a universal image, so although the different models have separate download sections, they both provide exactly the same image. The additional Advantage functions are derived from the license not the image.

cheers,

Seb.

CarloSalvador
Level 1
Level 1

@Naresh Murali @Seb Rupik @InayathUlla Sharieff  @balaji.bandi ,

Thanks guys! All your answers enlightened me and I know now what to do for me to be able to move further to my goal.

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Carlo,

Simple is that the IOS would failed.

Now coming to yur original question how you can verify there is no way that you can verify when using packages.conf. 

NOTE:- Checksum of packages.conf is not going to match with the one on cisco.com as it would be for .bin image.

Following is example of how it looks like when the software is packages.conf:{This values will not be present in the cisco software download image file page).

Switch#verify /sha512 flash:packages.conf
.Done!
verify /sha512 (flash:packages.conf) = 05c021f201a2cb1098db88eefcb0028eceb9e8fba166bfa2bed0701e6709125459d4fe35cdebf08e524d194bf62ec148f86578dee2e2938658da9848108bb119

Switch#verify /md5 flash:packages.conf
.Done!
verify /md5 (flash:packages.conf) = 14178aada1fd338924d660baa3ebeaad

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the BIN file is corrupt, Install Mode would fail.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card